Any app that can give a full-screen message?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kylera, Mar 29, 2015.

1. kylera, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015

kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Basically, I'm looking for an app or script that will either pop up a dialogue box on top of whatever I'm doing at the moment at a given time. Sort of like an in-your-face reminder. Basically, I'm looking for something that can emulate the ability to have Notification Center alerts pop up in the middle of the screen, but on the Mac.

Does anyone know of anything?

2. chown33, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015

chown33 macrumors 604

You can do this with a single line of AppleScript. Paste this into AppleScript Editor and run it:
    Code:
    display dialog "Your message goes here."
    Save it as an application, and then whatever you intended to use as a trigger can launch the saved application.

There's also the similar display alert command.

If you want more details, such as options, interaction, etc. you can look up the display dialog command on any website that covers AppleScript. It's an extremely common command, and is easy to play around with to learn things.

Also see:
    http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...nter-notification-from-an-applescript-or-shel

If this isn't what you want, then please clarify. There are no full-screen dialogs, so if you need it to truly be full-screen, this won't do it.

3. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

Any app that can give a full-screen message?

Actually, that may just work for my uses. I'm looking for something that isn't unobtrusive like Notification Center - this one seems to be very in-your-face.

Is it possible to time this as well, to run once every 24 hours or what have you?

4. chown33 macrumors 604

Definitely.

There are any number of ways to schedule it. For example, try googling the search terms:
    mac automator calendar
    mac applescript calendar

You can also look on the Mac App Store for apps that schedule when other apps run.

5. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

Thanks a lot! This may just work well enough!