Any app that will allow me to activate my computer webcam remotely and view?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by diesel, Oct 7, 2009.

1. diesel macrumors 6502a

It would be cool if i could activate my home laptops integrated webcam remotely from my iphone and see what the webcam sees. Any apps out there that will allow me to do this?

Thanks.

2. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

He linked him to a thread that gave him one choice, and notes the fact that it has been posted before and the OP should search. That thread was made today.

4. belvdr macrumors 603

When Skype finally gets approved, you could use that to see and listen to everything.

5. diesel thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah that thread was started 30 minutes before mine, so i didn't catch it. i'm at work "shhhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone" so i had mine queued up and when i clicked submit didn't realize someone posted a similar question.

6. cakbar macrumors regular

You could use a VNC app. I use Mocha VNC lite and can control my macbook remotely, therefor I can turn on the webcam and view whatever it is showing. I'm not sure what you would use for a PC, but I'm sure there's something there that is as easy to use as Mocha.

7. diesel thread starter macrumors 6502a

problem with that is if someone was in the room where the laptop/cam is, the laptop would come "alive" and they would know that the cam has been activated just by looking at the laptop screen. unless there's a way to keep the screensaver running on the actual computer while using the vnc app on your iphone and viewing the screen below the screensaver? though i don't think that is possible.

8. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Just leave your computer on and turn the brightness of the screen down to zero. No one will be able to see the movement on the screen.

9. sfditty macrumors regular

I think an RDP app like Jaadu RDP might be able to do this. It logs you off before logging on via the remote connection, so the monitor displays the login prompt whenever you're connected via RDP. I don't have a webcam to see if it would actually work though.

10. Mimoawi macrumors member

OrbLive should do the trick. it works fine for me.

11. MacMikePro macrumors newbie

Air Cam Live Video seems to work well, but I've only used the free version, you would have to use the paid version because the free one only works if you're in the same local network, but a good app nonetheless

12. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

13. footagehead macrumors newbie

Skype ?

I want to use Air Cam live with Skype. I have an Intel iMac running 10.6.4
    and want to use the built in iSight to send the video via wifi to my wifes
    iPad while talking to someone on Skype. It's configured without Skype running, as I can see pic on iPad, but when I turn on Skype it says "iSight in use by another app"
    Is it that I must have Skype on first before I turn on Air Cam and the iPad ?
    any help is appreciated.

14. jaeguyoon macrumors regular

I've done this using Orb. it worked pretty good.

15. footagehead macrumors newbie

Skype ?

Does it work with Skype was my question,
    Thanks