Any app to allow using 2 HDDs for 1 backup?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jcarlough, Jul 30, 2014.

1. jcarlough macrumors newbie

Before you say "time machine", let me explain a little.

I have 1 2TB Time Capsule and a 4TB Seagate External Hard Drive.

For my mac mini/media server, I want to use both for backup purposes. I know Time Machine does this, but my understanding is that it does it backup redundantly. It will do a full backup on each drive.

I want to be able to use the 4TB Hard Drive, and then once it runs out of data, have the backup move onto the 2TB Time Capsule drive. So, not to backup redundantly, but really have a "6TB" backup space.

I thought this was how the Time Machine backup worked when using multiple disks...but I was wrong. :)

Anything else out there that can fit the bill? Or am I SOL?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

What you're describing is a sort of RAID setup combining the two drives into one 6TB drive. I don't think that's possible using the Time Capsule drive.

Even if it were, the loss of one drive would mean the loss of all data across both.

The only way to use those two drives would be the redundant two-drive method with Time Machine. It's not entirely redundant as the hourly backups alternate between the two. Also, the entire system isn't backed up with a TM backup...just enough system files to get a restore done if necessary.

If a 6TB history of your system is required I would recommend a NAS of some sort, with that NAS being backed up itself somewhere else.

3. jcarlough thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah - I just decided to do this: Use the Time Capsule to backup my "OS", applications, system files, etc., etc. Any Carbon Copy Cloner with the 4TB drive to back up my Movies, TV & Music.

4. cube macrumors G5

Serious backup software has existed forever.

You just add a new drive when a backup set fills up.

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan