Any app to track location with gyro/accel (not GPS)?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Qaanol, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2010
    I want to map the locations I travel underground, whether in tunnels or caves. I know there are apps to do that aboveground using GPS, but I want to make such a map underground with no signal. That means it has to work with only the gyroscope and accelerometer. I would especially like to track locations in 3 dimensions, not just 2.

Is there an app that will let me track and map where I go without any cell or GPS signal?
  2. Xapi macrumors newbie

Oct 17, 2011
    Normally, all the apps use the Location Services to track your GPS position must use 3G, Wifi or Edge.
    Without internet signal, it impossible :)
  3. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Jun 7, 2011
    It's impossible. I've (after being contracted for an iOS app feasibility report for in-museum use) very thoroughly examined whether it's at all possible what you asked for indoors, w/o GPS signal. With the now-available sensors & wireless technologies, what you look for isn't possible.

You'll want to go the NFC way if and only if (some of) the next iPhone receives it - for example, it's what the Milano tech museum does with phones already NFC-capable (e.g., the top models of Nokia). No other technologies will work.