Any appeals process for replacements?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by t0mm, May 10, 2011.

1. t0mm macrumors regular

Hi there,

I have a 16GB iPad 2 Wifi in white.

I purchased it around 4 weeks ago, anyway it has lightbleed and dead pixels. I do not live near an apple store so I sent it off to be repaired.

The 'problem' was it had a dint on the corner that was flat where I had dropped it on a desk. I told them this over the phone and the CSA advised that it would not be a problem because of the lightbleed and dead pixels and this wouldnt cause it but it would be down to the technician to say.

Anyway I sent it in, still hadn't heard anything and found out that they refused to repair it because of the 'malicious / accidental damage'

I rang them up and got escalated to a supervisor who wasn't really helpful basically said they'd 'voided' my warranty because of it and the condition was very poor (he said he looked at pics) but it's NOT bad.... I didn't send it in because of the damage I sent it in because of the lightbleed/pixels.

Anyway I'd purchased Applecare on it and demanded a refund - which he reluctantly gave.

Is there anyway I can 'appeal against this' I don't have an apple store near so I can't go in and kick up a fuss. But I'll be in New York in three weeks and I'll be planning to have a word there too..

2. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I don't think it was smart to demand an AppleCare refund if you still want to appeal the decision. I do think they did you wrong, however.

3. t0mm thread starter macrumors regular

He refused at first and said it wasn't refundable. I still have 7 days to 'turn that around' though.

What do you think I should do?

4. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Don't know if this'll be helpful to you, but I think in your case you really need to handle this in an Apple Store. You're talking to one guy on the phone, but another guy is doing the assessments, and I'm sure the two aren't in direct contact. Not an ideal situation with that dent that causes questions. From what I hear, the Apple Store Geniuses are very accommodating usually, and if they agree to repair or replace it, it's a done deal.

5. t0mm thread starter macrumors regular

So do you reckon I should wait until I get to the states?

6. Meanee macrumors 6502a

It's harder to say no in person than over the phone. And in store, iPad may look different to rep' not as bad as the photo would make it look. You can always ask for replacement screen and leave dented back the way it was. I know that due to construction entire unit must be replaced, but play it stupid.

Key is to ASK FOR NELP and not DEMAND REPLACEMENT. reps are more likely to tell you to piss off if you going to act as a d-bag in store.

7. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Assuming that they can provide you with customer service in the States, I'd say yes. Though it might be worthwhile to call them again and try one more time. After all, they can't deny that light bleeding hasn't been a known iPad 2 issue, and they cannot fairly connect the dent with the light bleeding. I would also offer to email them pictures of the dent and let them know that there was absolutely no justification for the charge of "malicious / accidental damage". Are you supposed to keep the iPad wrapped in its box unused? I bet the tech opened the box, saw the dent, and rejected it offhand without even bothering to turn it on.

8. brudog68 macrumors 6502

Unfortunately you're disadvantaged now because you were honest. With as many physical defects as some have reported out of the box, they would have never questioned the dent had they been told you received it that way.
    I'd say in the end you will be made whole again, but you may have to kick and scream up the ladder. Good luck!

9. t0mm thread starter macrumors regular

yeah. it pays to be honest.

my iPad 1 got a dent caused by the case they refused instore however online replaced it.

Will ring thurs and plead (i get it back thurs)

It's got an 'international warranty' so I can try in the states. I'll be rational.