Any Apple Remote apps for Hulu/Youtube?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SchneiderMan, Nov 7, 2009.

1. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I would like to control online video players such as Hulu and Youtube, is there an app that can help do that?

Using the new apple aluminum remote..
    Thanks.

2. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

I've been looking for this exact thing. Sadly, I have yet to find it. Best bet is probably Remote Buddy

3. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Try iRed or Sofa Control :)
    If they work well holler back. I'm still on the iBook so I've never tested them, but have both.

4. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

ive tried all of those but they only support application

5. KidMoe85 macrumors member

You can download Hulu desktop and use your remote to control it. For youtube, you can just install Plex and watch videos from there.

6. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

yes but using those on the web is much easier and better for me, i have hulu desktop but never use it, it's slower and full of bugs..

Thanks anyway

7. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Most of the apps that work with the Apple Remote allow you to use a "virtual mouse" that allows you to control the mouse with the remote. Might be your best bet.

Only other thing I can recommend is use Plex or XBMC to connect to Hulu and Youtube.

8. ricog macrumors newbie

Not sure if it is still of interest, but I had the same problem, so I wrote an app that lets you control YouTube videos running inside Safari with an Apple Remote. It's called Web Remote. Here the link: http://www.webremoteapp.com

9. cawas macrumors newbie

cawas

Yes, it is still of interest! But I couldn't make your app demo to work. It always says "can't link, please restart both apps" and never works. - It's also not available in the apple store anymore. Maybe it's because I'm on OSX 10.9 :(

Also...

- Mira doesn't work for youtube. And has many flaws I didn't like, such as a weird "Duos" button configuration and removing the default Holding Play Button behavior to make mac sleep, without giving any option to bring it back. And it's unnecessarily hard to uninstall.

- I haven't even tried using iRedLite, as it seems too old and not updated to work with Mavericks

- Sofa Control latest update seems to be from 2011

- Remote Buddy is too expensive and way too featureful!

I just wanted to control youtube!!