Any apps for "live" sharing a home budget?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by mcintoshi, Mar 17, 2010.

1. mcintoshi macrumors newbie

mcintoshi

My wife and I both have iPhones, and having recently drawn up a budget in Excel, I've been searching for an iPhone app which will help us keep track of it live. When I say live I'm talking about the following feature.

If I make a purchase in a shop or something, I want to be able to fire up the app and select a category for this expense. Fine, most budget apps do this. But I want the app to look at our shared budget over the internet (whether it's stored on Google Docs or some other third-party's server I don't care), and when I select the category I want to see how much of this month's budget my wife and I have spent already for that category.

Then when I enter the expense, it will update that total live on the shared budget "database", wherever that's stored. So if my wife fires up the app 5 minutes later she should see the total for that category including the amount from my purchase.

It's all basic functionality, but we're pretty much talking a shared budget database rather than a single user's one. I've found a couple of iPhone apps which claim to do sharing ("iPhone Budget", "Ace Budget"), but they rely on you sending each transaction by email to your partner - that's crazy. Another one I bought called "Money Journal" does have some integration with Google Docs, but annoyingly, the amount from a transaction is not added to a running total for a category, but rather just adds another row, so you end up having to total it up yourself anyway. And a second person integrating with the same document just overwrites the old document completely, so that's not what I'm looking for.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Seems like it would be a massive gap in a store with 100,000+ apps, so I'm sure someone must have thought of this...

cheers,
    Ian

2. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

I haven't tried the sync on either, but [app]HomeBudget[/app] and [app]iReconcile[/app] just require you tap sync to get all the new transactions from a server.

3. mcintoshi thread starter macrumors newbie

mcintoshi

Hey thanks very much, that's just what I was looking for. My search skills aren't as good as I thought - not sure how I missed those :eek:

4. unkn0wnsoldier macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

Do you have any experience with said apps? I want to do the same as the OP, but I don't know which one to choose. Any advice?

5. mcintoshi thread starter macrumors newbie

mcintoshi

I just downloaded HomeBudget with Sync and will report back after I've set it up and have some feedback to give.

6. unkn0wnsoldier macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

7. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

I have downloaded and tried out both apps, and as the interface goes, I prefer HomeBudget, as it doesn't require I type in entries everytime, HomeBudget is cheaper if you're syncing devices. iReconcile has an online website to view your finances, but it costs something like $2 per month. I haven't tried sync with either as I didn't have anyone that I needed to sync with. I use adifferent app that doesn't have sync.

8. mcintoshi thread starter macrumors newbie

mcintoshi

Don't hold your breath - I'm at work at the moment (it's 10:15am in Perth) and to set up my budget and sync I'll need to stuff around a bit when I get home.

In the meantime, unkn0wnsoldier, I'll say a prayer for you. (obscure Doors song reference, I apologise).

9. unkn0wnsoldier macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

Ok. I will tone down the anticipation. Curious will do.

Thanks

10. Jelsoft Sux macrumors member

I too am curious how this stands up to your spread sheet method. My wife and I do the same thing and have to email it back and forth whenever we update it. I'm not sure how well it would work for us since we also own two businesses and their expenses are on our budget as well. So it's kinda business and personal.

11. Xibalba macrumors 6502

Xibalba

while we are awaiting the full results of the apps in question above, i would mention that my wife and i use google docs to update our budgeting information and then track all changes with mint.com. i know that this is not quite the iphone solution mentioned above but much easier than emailing a document. also i need to look into iwork.com next...

12. mcintoshi thread starter macrumors newbie

mcintoshi

Home Budget thoughts

Ok, having used Home Budget for a few days after setting it up on the weekend, it's looking really good. I spent a while on the initial input of our budget categories and amounts, and then I synced up with my wife's iphone so that they're now joined as part of a group.

She can now obviously see the same categories as me and when either of us inputs an expense, the other one can see it. I haven't yet set up my accounts or my income, which are all still todo - you can do it so that an income amount gets added to an account, and then expenses come out of that account - but at this stage it's looking extremely promising as far as a single tool to manage all of our family finances. The live syncing of expenses against budget categories is fantastic.

I hope that helps. For the measly price of $AU 6, it's worth it in my opinion.

cheers,
    Ian

13. martinheiber macrumors newbie

Home budget is very good thanks. My only cons is sometimes the keyboard gets stuck