Any apps like licensekeeper but can also backup and sync online?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ASFx, Jun 7, 2008.

1. ASFx macrumors regular

Im looking for an application that does the same thing as licensekeeper, but backs up or syncs all its data online. Is there anything like this?

2. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

The only thing I can think of is 1password. They've recently released my1password (still in beta, but works well) that will back up everything stored in the program.

3. ASFx thread starter macrumors regular

I have 1password and it's great, but it's only for storing website passwords, not app license info. It would be amazing if the developer of licensekeeper offered an online sync service, but i don't think they'll do that any time soon.

4. -DH macrumors 65816

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the need for online sync of licensing information? What or who is it you're syncing with?

-DH

5. ASFx thread starter macrumors regular

It would be great simply because you'd have peace of mind knowing all your license info for all apps is always backed up to an online location.

It would also be nice to be able to install LicenseKeeper on a Mac Pro and Macbook, for example, then have them both able to access the license info for all your apps, but this is just a bonus. The ability to have automated online backups is most important.

6. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

My idea was that you could add the serials to 1password's 'secure notes' or 'wallet' section. Then they'd be backed up :)

7. -DH macrumors 65816

OK ... but I still don't see the need for a special application for this task. I keep all my serial numbers, keycodes, activation numbers, etc. in a simple spread sheet. And that file gets backed up regularly to my iDisk.

Column 1: Software Title & version number
    Column 2: Serial number
    Column 3: Registration number (if applicable)
    Column 4: Key Code (if applicable)
    Column 5: any other number (you'd be surprised what some software vendors require)
    Column 6: Software vendor's support telephone number
    Column 7: Date of purchase

Simple, cheap and effective ... and totally customizable.

-DH

ps: I use another spread sheet just for passwords.

8. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Only if someone would hack into your computer somehow....

I'm not saying I wish that would happen, but that is the reason why I don't keep that stuff on my computer or backed up online at all. I also make a spreadsheet like you, but I print it out and I don't save it. I then put that printed version inside of a safe that is inside of another safe. (both combination controlled). I then have a security camera set up on that safe because I have other things in there. That security camera starts recording when motion is detected. Oh, then I lock the door on the way out of the office.

If anyone can get to my passwords, I would congratulate them. Then I would have them thrown in the slammer for years.

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

In addition to no syncing capabilities, according to the LicenseKeeper FAQs they do not provide any sort of encryption or password protection. They should keep the serials in the keychain like 1Password does and that would solve the encryption and password problem. No thanks, I think I'll pass on a product where the developer doesn't think security are important.