Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigwig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
There's no convenient way to do things like search and replace on Safari's bookmarks. You have to edit bookmark entries one at a time. Very time wasting. Are there any apps or extensions to accomplish that?

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
There's no convenient way to do things like search and replace on Safari's bookmarks. You have to edit bookmark entries one at a time. Very time wasting. Are there any apps or extensions to accomplish that?

You find and replace a lot of stuff in Bookmarks?

bigwig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
You find and replace a lot of stuff in Bookmarks?
Sure. Try replacing a few dozen links because a domain name changed or they changed forum software. It's a pain. You can't directly edit Bookmarks.plist either because it isn't a convenient text file, and directly editing it breaks it.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
You can't directly edit Bookmarks.plist either because it isn't a convenient text file, and directly editing it breaks it.

Uh, yeah you can. You must be using something that saves extra garbage in the file. Open the bookmarks.plist file directly in say TextWrangler, and edit what you need. I just did it to confirm for you and it does indeed work.

bigwig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Uh, yeah you can. You must be using something that saves extra garbage in the file. Open the bookmarks.plist file directly in say TextWrangler, and edit what you need. I just did it to confirm for you and it does indeed work.
That's odd, because when I edited it in Emacs and restarted Safari, the Bookmarks menu showed as empty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.