Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjayd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I am on my corporate network with exchange and hate having to type in that 5 digit passcode.
Also, is there anything to get the "never" option back in the autolock setting?

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
I am glad there isn't.. That passcode has previously saved many people from having a stolen or lost iDevice never returned. Seeing posts like this make me cringe thinking some "lucky" person found a iDevice which has been passworded to lock.

mrjayd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I am glad there isn't.. That passcode has previously saved many people from having a stolen or lost iDevice never returned. Seeing posts like this make me cringe thinking some "lucky" person found a iDevice which has been passworded to lock.

I understand it's a security thing and that's what remote wipe is for. But having the passcode on there or not is not going to get a stolen or lost iPhone returned. I just hate having to put in my passcode all day long just to access my phone. I try to punch it in so fast sometimes that I type it wrong and it errors out and I have to type it again. It should just be an option for the owner.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

riddle me this

if one has an iphone with a passcode and has it stolen....how will the theif be able to add an app, which requires bypassing the passcode

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
I understand it's a security thing and that's what remote wipe is for. But having the passcode on there or not is not going to get a stolen or lost iPhone returned. I just hate having to put in my passcode all day long just to access my phone. I try to punch it in so fast sometimes that I type it wrong and it errors out and I have to type it again. It should just be an option for the owner.

Your best bet is to convince your IT guy to relax the setting on the server's side. The rule is enforced by the Exchange server by default. If your company does not care that its data can be accessible if you lose your phone, then they don't need the password setting. (good luck with doing that :cool:)

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
But having the passcode on there or not is not going to get a stolen or lost iPhone returned.

Actually I've read multiple threads on this forum where someone's iphone was returned because the person who "found" it couldn't use it anyway, that combined with constant mobileme find iphone message spamming. I could see that becoming very annoying for the person, driving them to just return the phone.

dukebound85 said:
riddle me this

if one has an iphone with a passcode and has it stolen....how will the theif be able to add an app, which requires bypassing the passcode

True, when I read the OP I was more thinking of a method not so much an app for bypass.

mrjayd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I think I found the app...

called Exchange Unlock. Anyone tried this yet?

PaulDoFish

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
If I was a thief and found a locked iPhone and wanted to keep it, I would DFU restore. It would work take out the passcode and restore it to factory conditions, which would be the exact condition i'd want it in.

Now if I really did find an iPhone I would try to locate the owner first :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.