Any apps to make Google Voice better integrated into iOS?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by someone28624, Jul 7, 2011.

1. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I use Google Voice as my main phone number. Now that I have jailbroken with jailbreakme, I'm wondering if there's any apps that make GV even better. I'm specifically wondering about a way to make it so a phone number clicked in Safari or Mail dials out with GV, or so that I could voice dial with GV.

2. jumplittlechloe macrumors member

3. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

4. rgs3 macrumors member

This. Makes GV more native to the phone. Just dial as you normally would, and the caller will see your GV number instead of your carrier number. Also GV SMS extension does the same thing, send a text message and it automatically sends it from your GV number.

5. rgs3 macrumors member

I used this before GV extension. GV mobile requires you to use the GV Mobile app for callling etc...with GV Extension you just use your phone like you normally would.

6. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Would this work if I just want to be able to answer calls to my GV # on my iphone? I don't necessarily care about making calls with my GV# (I guess I can just use Talkatone for that), but if I could answer calls to my GV# with the stock phone app that would be awesome.

7. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

Yes. It's customizeable in the options, you can even have the phone prompt you whenever you make a call if you want to use carrier/GV number/GV offline etc.

And answering calls is entirely dependent on which number the person calls you on. If they call you on your AT&T/Verizon number, it'll pick up from that. If they call you on GV, you'll answer on that, etc. Unless you have call forwarding options set up I guess.

The apps are $2.99 each, one for SMS (even works with BiteSMS and others) and $2.99 for the caller app.

8. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Well I have it installed but how do I set it up so that my iphone rings when someone calls my GV#? I know that I can set it up so that my GV# forwards to my iphone's # but that would obviously use minutes and I don't want to do that. Is that the only way to do it? If so, Talkatone is probably the better option.

9. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

No you can easily set it up so that your phone rings when GV is called. It's in the app settings under the native settings app. Each 2.99 app has it's own settings, you just enter in your username and pw and enable the extension to work. It's all pretty seamless and native. It's great.

10. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I don't see any setting for that in the Phone GV Extension settings. I see a place for my iphone number but it doesn't seem to matter if I put my number in there or not - my phone doesn't ring when I try calling my GV# from a landline. Am I missing something? Are there additional settings once you actually get a license or something?

11. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It sounds like you really need to set things up through Google so your cell phone rings. Just go to voice.google.com from a computer and check your settings.

Thanks everyone- gonna try those extensions. This is exactly what I need! What repo do I need to add to get them? I can't find it anywhere on their website.

12. psywzrd macrumors 68030

If you do it that way (setting up GV to ring your cell phone), incoming calls will count against your minutes. If I'm going to do that I might as well just use Talkatone since that doesn't require you to forward your gv calls to your cell phone #.

As far as repos, there isn't anything to add. Just search for phone gv extension and SMS gv extension.

13. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Found the app. It's not working though. I have all the settings set up, but every time I call whether I have direct dial or ask selected it is never asking and still showing the call as from my AT&T number. I got texting working, though.

14. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Calling from the actual phone app is working now, but not calling from the address book or voice dialing. It's still all showing as from my cell phone number.

15. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have both the SMS and the phone app installed and up and running now. Is there any reason the leave the official GV app installed? Will SMS and voicemail go through the native iPhone apps if I delete the GV app?

16. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I don't know the answer to your question but were you able to get the incoming calls working through the native phone app?

17. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I still get phone calls like I always did. I don't think there's any way to stop using your plan's minutes because you're using GV. It's not VOIP.

18. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Well you can if you use Talkatone (the reason I know that is because you can use it on an ipod Touch so there's obviously no voice plan with that - works the same on the iphone as well). Do you have your GV calls being forwarded to your cell phone #?

19. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Bumping this as my trial for the phone gv extension is up but I don't really want to buy it if I can't answer incoming calls with the native phone app without forwarding my GV calls to my cell #. Anyone?

20. psywzrd macrumors 68030

So it looks like this isn't true. The only way to receiving incoming calls to your GV # and answer them through the phone's native phone app is to foward your GV# to your cell. Can anyone dispute this and, if so, how the heck do you set it up? I know Talkatone can receive incoming GV calls but that's because you are forwarding your GV calls to chat. It would be much better if you could answer them in the native phone app without forwarding them to your cell # (which burns up your minutes).