Any apps to use one iOS device as a mic for another?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by GavWhite, Jul 27, 2012.

1. GavWhite macrumors newbie

I've looked around and can't *quite* find anything similar to what I'm looking for.

If I have one iOS device (e.g., my iPod Touch) hooked up to a wireless sound system, I can use an app like Tunes Remote to play music on that system using another iOS device (e.g., an iPad) wireless from across part of a field.

Is there anything that would allow me to use that second iOS device in my hand as a microphone instead? So that if I were to speak into the mic of my iPad or iPhone, it would transmit to the iPod Touch and then be heard through the sound system? FaceTime won't fit my needs because someone would need to be next to the sound system to "answer," plus I'd prefer something that multiple people could connect to from their own devices, like Tunes Remote can do with music control.

Not sure if anything of the sort exists, but if anyone knows of anything, please let me know! Thanks!

2. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

It's certainly very easy to write such an app by using GameKit's audio transfer. This, however, is two-sided communication.

If you can compile & deploy apps on your iPhones, I can quickly code one for you (I've made writing such walkie-talkie apps in my GameKit courses an excercise for my students). Otherwise, you'll need to look around in AppStore. For example, the one at http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/walkie-talkie-standard/id370544266?mt=8 lets for this (via plain BT too). However, it requires an external, wired mike (can't use the built-in one).