Any apps/utilities to control MAX fan speed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by simplydat, Mar 7, 2011.

1. simplydat macrumors member

I have recent purchased a 13" i7 macbook pro, the fan noise is unbearable sometimes at max.

Is there an app or utilitiy to set the max fan speed? Say at any given temperature, the max speed on the fan is 5500RPM vs default 6200RPM.

Neither "smsfancontrol" nor "fan control" do what I want. They set minimum values only which is not what I want.

Please don't ask why, or tell me it's gonna damage my computer. I know that.
    And please don't tell me to take my computer to a genius bar.

All i would like to know is a method.

Thanks a million!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I don't know that there is a way to do that, but FanControl can help keep temps lower to begin with, by changing the thresholds. That way, the fans rarely get to the max speed. Not sure why you would be willing to risk damage to your $1500 computer to make it a little quieter though.

3. simplydat thread starter macrumors member

4. gman34 macrumors member

SMC fan control has a terminal command that will let you set the max speed.

Google is your friend.

5. simplydat, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

simplydat thread starter macrumors member

Thanks but I looked at that already, I think it is for an older version of smsfancontrol, right now I have 2.2.2, and the terminal command doesn't work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    I took a look at the terminal command again, played around with it, now it works!
    Thanks

6. hfletcher macrumors 6502

hfletcher

I'm fairly certain that you can't set the fan speed lower than what the system actually needs. i.e. if your mac starts to get too hot, and it needs max fan, there is no possibility of reducing that fan speed - the system protects itself from overheating by 1) Maxing the fan and 2) underclocking the processor if it hits 100 degrees.

SMC fan control can increase your fan speed, but you can't force a decrease from the system required level.

I could be wrong, though, but that's my experience. :rolleyes:

7. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

My smoke detector keeps going off when I burn my toast... Is there any way to unplug it so that it doesn't do that?

Seriously, bad idea. Setting minimum fan speed is one thing, but limiting max speed it asking for a cooked laptop.

8. simplydat, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

simplydat thread starter macrumors member

I've set the fan's max speed at 5200RPM vs default 6200RPM and observed the temperature of the CPU, and surprisingly its only + 2 to 3 degrees celsius at load. But the noise is much more acceptable now.

I can actually use the computer during a lecture now.
    Thanks

9. fromeout11 macrumors newbie

How did you do this? My computer is incorrectly reading my SSD as being at 263 degrees F, so I can't reduce the fan speed....

10. stevemiller macrumors 65816

stop playing video games during the lecture ;)

in all seriousness though, i know you said you don't want to be told, but if your computer is ramping up to max fan speed taking notes during a lecture, something is amiss and you aren't doing yourself any favours sticking your head in the sand about it!