Any AT&T Uverse users with a time capsule or airport router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Undecided, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Undecided macrumors 6502a

I just got AT&T's uverse service, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to integrate their included router (10/100 ethernet, 802.11g) with a more advanced Apple router (like a time capsule with 10/100/1000 and 802.11n).

One option is to have AT&T's router simply pass all traffic to the Apple router. Another option is to selectively forward certain services (ports) to the Apple router.

Have you already been faced with this and what did you do?

It might be best for me to simply have it pass everything to the Apple router, and then I'll do all my individual port forwarding from the Apple router. That would essentially dumb down the AT&T router, making me rely entirely on the Apple router, but given that I want to use my old Airport Express also to setup a WDS to be able to send sound to remote speakers, that might be the best option. Or the easiest.

Bear in mind that I have a mixture of n and g devices. n Macbook and Apple TV, g iPhone 3g S and 2G, g printer, g wii.

Just to be clear, I already have the original Time Capsule and original Airport Express.

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I don't have the same service as you do but if they gave you a G router and your original TC can be hooked up via ethernet cable to it, use your TC for N only and use the AT&T unit for your G devices...

3. Undecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

That actually was my original plan - up until now I was using the Time Capsule and AExpress the same way. The 2wire router looked like it could not selectively forward ports - some to one computer, some to another. I see now that I misread the setup page and it can do so.

So, I now have the TC setup in "bridge" mode with the same network name as the 2wire but with "N" appended. N devices will connect to it, G devices will connect to the 2wire router. And it looks like I can still access the TC drive (I thought there was a chance I wouldn't).

Now to figure out how to setup the Airport Express to wirelessly connect to the network, so I can connect speakers to it and play music remotely (in another room). I think I need to set it up as a WDS network.