Any Australians ever experienced the cracking issue on their 3G/3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ivan P, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

So I've just discovered a beautiful little crack in the infamous spot between the sleep/wake button and the bezel. I'm a bit pissed off considering I've had my iPhone barely three months, and considering Apple had every opportunity to try and remedy this 'flaw' before the 3GS launched. But anyway. We have no Apple Stores in Western Australia (yet) so that's clearly not an option. The only place I can go to is to my carrier, Telstra (ugggh....) and show them, but I'm not sure if they'd even acknowledge that it actually is a hardware fault (after all, I doubt Apple really corresponds with the carriers about these issues all that much).
    I'm just wondering if any Aussies with a 3G or 3GS has any experience with getting their phone replaced by their carrier - and not an Apple Store - due to the cracking issue?

2. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

I have the same issue with my 3G phone in NZ, like wise no actual Apple Stores.

The carrier is adamant it is not a hardware fault and is due to "ware and tear" and won't replace it as it’s no9t their problem.

Apple Care (which for NZ is in Australia) said if i sent them the phone they would repair it, though the turn around until i got it/ a replacement would be up to 6 weeks.

I can't live without a phone for 6 weeks, so I just decided to live with the crack till I replace the phone mid next year

3. Ivan P thread starter macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I just got off the phone to both Telstra (my carrier) and a lady at Apple with whom I've talked with before about defective products.

Telstra said they'd send my phone away to be repaired and would take 2 to 4 weeks (even longer considering I live 300km from the nearest Telstra Store).

When I sent my initial email to the lady at Apple I included a photo of the main crack (around the sleep/wake button) and she said it should definitely not be happening and that the problem will be sorted out for me. They can send me a new iPhone, and then I send them my defective one once I've received it. The only thing is you need a credit card handy because they place a bond on it (around $850 for my 16GB 3GS) in case you never send back the old one (although they refund the money once they've received the old unit).

Guess I'm gonna have to do a DFU restore to make sure my jailkbreak's fully gone ;)

Try calling 133 MAC and talking to someone there, they should be able to help. (Unless thats what you've already tried...)