Any Avid Readers? Practical Tips? iBooks, Kindle, Hardcover preferences?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HappyDude20, Nov 10, 2013.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

In 2013 I came upon a stark thought of thinking there's a chance I would not live to read all of the great works history and modern times have to offer me. Therefore, I've somewhat attempted to thrust myself into productivity in regards to reading. Coming from being a total non-reader, this has been a somewhat challenge for me. For the majority of my life I've only read books that were either instructed in class, or would pick up a book of interest to the tune of once or twice a year.. and even then with no guarantee of my finishing them.

Nevertheless, I've started reading in this latter half of 2013; beginning with Jared Diamond's Collapse which was 500+ pages and honestly took some time to go through all those pages, especially considering it was one of those books where they seem to purposely fit more lines of text to save pages. I've also a few books here and there, all with practical purposes. I've not jumped into fictions this year, considering i'm yearning to seek valuable tips and insight in a host of endeavors; but that isn't to say I don't have fictions in an ongoing reading list. I heavily intend on reading classic works as well, though once i'm settled into my own apartment and have work going on the right track.

Still, reading seems to be the big topic and first and foremost am glad that I've slowly been reducing my 5+ hours a day of just browsing the web with hours of reading. Whether it be iBooks on my Mac, iBooks on iPhone while on the go, physical books which I truly feel has been a more intimate experience as opposed to buying the same book via iBooks; though iBooks does has the great advantage of taking notes and highlighting, with the disadvantage of not easily exporting all these notes into PDF files or elsewhere.

Hoping there are many here who read, i'm wondering what are practical tips and insight you may offer a beginning hardcore reader, me, who has well over 100+ titles of books in my reading list and hoping to get through them, without rushing through them, ya know?

Some books are easy reads, like Suze Orman's Steps to Financial Freedom; while others like War & Peace are super dense to the point it's taken the wind out of my sails in wanting to read. Rather than guiding this thread, I'll see where fellow readers will take it.

:D

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I've owned a Kindle since January 2010 and I love it. It is lighter than a tablet, has about 3 weeks of battery life, very easy to read in sunlight, inexpensive.

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Cool, so I'm more interested if that Kindle has made you read more, or perhaps if you've taken more in depth notes with that Kindle. I'd imagine an easy sync/import/export option w/ Amazon's Kindle services.

Funny enough, Amazon is taking $40 off the Kindle for a total of $30 price tag now. I'm heavily tempted, but I'm personally holding out for the Retina iPad Mini.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have read a lot more since receiving my first Kindle. The ease of getting a book in less than a minute without leaving your house is wonderful. Also, I have managed to get a lot of books at very low prices or free.

5. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

I have also read more ever since I've gotten my Kindle Paper white. I read quite a bit using paperbacks and hard Cover, but lugging the big book around was such a pain. I had a Kindle touch before my paper white, and which was good for its time, but the paper white is so much better.

The paper white is light, the text is crisp and easy to read, copy and it has a great light. I looks at some kind of monitor all day long, so the lit eink screen is far easier on the eyes. I don't have to charge it very often either.

6. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Is this all through Amazon or can you bring in your own PDFs and other files into it? How's the ease of use on highlighting? I find I either highlight sentences that I find of interest, or words I've fallen in love with; with iBooks they're colored yellow and green, respectively.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

A Kindle has an e-ink screen which doesn't have colors so if that is important to you then you will need to look else where. A Kindle also isn't the best for reading PDFs. As for buying books, I can buy them at any place. I use Calibre to manage my books on my computer and I know how to convert books to a format usable by my Kindle.

8. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

You can bring in PDFs and certain documents. Most have to be converted though (Calibre is a great program for doing it). I have a kindle touch, and am thinking of upgrading to the paperwhite (or at least asking for it as a Christmas present). I have about 300+ books on it actually, 90% of those are free (I'm a cheapskate :p). Some are great, some are crap. However, depending on what your fiction interests are, I totally recommend "Ready Player One". Great book!
    But yeah, older kindles are great still, I havnt gotten to a paperwhite to test the differences though. Plus you can add notes, and I think highlight (Ill check), as well as bookmark pages.

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

If you need the extra 'encouragement' you might find others who are reading or have recently read the same to talk about it. It's always nice to discuss what you've read with others (and there are great benefits too). Perhaps a book club?

But really I wanted to say (not that my praise should mean anything) THANK YOU!

Thank you for wanting to read and thank you for doing it.

10. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Initially be a magpie. Flit around and grab whatever you like the look of, don't feel you have to read certain great works.

Always remember that 'classic' books are simply classics because lots of people have really enjoyed them and they are great reads. If you're ploughing through some worthy book you're not enjoying just give up! Just start another one on your list. Remember there's no exam. I read a fair bit and regularly have a clear out of half read books that for whatever reason couldn't get through (the local charity store benefits greatly.)

In terms of the mechanics of reading in my case it goes like this - I can read anything in hardback or paperback (although these days paperbacks seem to fall apart after a couple of years - so not always the best choice for a book you'll refer back to a lot). On the Kindle I have - I struggle to follow non fiction or anything that means I need to skip backwards if I need to remind myself of something. I find, in my case, it seems to suit thrillers, SciFi and those sort of zappy reads. I really don't like reading on the iPad but I know people who can. Perhaps I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to reading but a crisp new hardback is still a real pleasure.

11. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Kindle Keyboard, and Paperwhite 2 here. Marvin on my iPad Mini, Kindle on my Mac, and then Freda+ on my Windows Phone.

Yes, I do read more after getting a Kindle.

12. neier macrumors member

Very satisfied Kindle user

I've had the Kindle (touch) for nearly two years, and have read over 80 books on it. Most of my reading is the 60 minutes a day on the train commuting to/from work, which used to be devoted to watching programs on the iphone. I can confidently say that without the Kindle, I would still be watching the videos and not reading -- even though I've had the Kindle app on the phone for even longer than I've owned a Kindle.

I've read independent sci-fi, autobiographies, history books, and a few NYT best sellers. A lot of these were purchased from Amazon's "Daily Deals", or otherwise discounted prices. I'm anxiously awaiting the feature where you can get eBook versions of previous hard-copy purchases that they announced a couple of months ago. The point being, if you are just looking to read something, there is an abundance of good material out there that doesn't cost much, compared to new hard-copy releases.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I am an avid reader and love books. Actually, I love the physical feel of a solid (as yet unread) book in my hand, and love the feel of diving into a serious book, (history, politics for preference, though anything interesting can attract me) or losing oneself in a well written and thoroughly absorbing work of fiction.

However, even while reading a book, in recent years I have developed a marked preference for hardback editions and buy them where possible. In general, this is because they are simply better produced, with better quality paper, and larger (and generally, easier to read) fonts and print.

Although I have bought a Kindle (the Paperwhite version, as I have been informed that it is easier on one's eyes, and, as I wear spectacles, and stare, brood, and write while peering at a computer screen for much of the day, anything which offers ease to my eyes will meet with my approval), I have yet to use it.

For now, it still sits in its box, unopened. However, I have a horrid suspicion that once I do unbox it and actually set it up, that I may become very attached to the ease of downloading books for the device; my brother cannot understand why - given how much I read, and how much I love reading - I have not yet succumbed to the Kindle.

I do have an iPad mini, a lovely device, but, for now, I use it solely for surfing and web browsing.