Any B&M Stores sell Tri-Wing driver?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chupa Chupa, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Does anyone know for sure any chains that sell a size 0 Tri-Wing screwdriver needed to remove the back of the new MBP? (My luck my driver set only goes to size 1).

My experience is that Home Depot, Lowes, etc, don't sell these type drivers used for electronics & I don't want to waste time/gas hunting and pecking if someone can give me a good lead. (Yeah, calling these stores is worthless, especially on the weekend).

Not sure why Apple had to go away from the time tested TORX.

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

For a B&M, your best bet would be Sears.

Are you sure it's a size 0? Can't seem to find that size even online.

3. Chupa Chupa thread starter macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Just going off what is on iFixit. But after looking around more online it may be a size "00." That is the size used for the Nintendo DS.

4. neteng101 macrumors 65816

5. rrr macrumors member

Is Tri-Wing now necessary for HD and/or RAM replacement? Or just to access "other" parts of the new MBP casing?

6. chopper dave macrumors regular

I went to Sears last night and they only had sizes down to #2.

Online there are lots of places- the lowest price is probably at McMaster where they have a 1/4" hex bit for $2. You'd probably want to bundle it with something else there as they charge around $6 for shipping small boxes. A lot of other places have whole screwdrivers for under $10, including Amazon.

Any other B&M stores people have had success at?

7. jawa12083 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch 2G 8GB: Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/5.0.0176/764; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

Guys, the tri-wing is only needed to remove the battery.

8. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

Well on the last MBP they used Torx T6 screw/studs that went into the sides of the HDD to hold it into the anti shock chassis. I'd assume they would have changed this to Tri wings now.

HOWEVER, when I first did my HDD I definitely didn't have the Torx, I used a pair of pliers. Just take the HDD out and twist the screw/studs off, you wont do any damage.

9. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I bought the OWC Mini Toolkit before my Hitachi 500GB drive arrived. Didn't want to bother with B&Ms. If you have a Fry's near you, that might be your best bet. :eek:

10. gatorfan787 macrumors newbie

+1. I checked the 2010 15'' MBP user guide which details how to replace the hard drive, downloadable at support.apple.com.

11. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

Well on the last MBP they used Torx T6 screw/studs that went into the sides of the HDD to hold it into the anti shock chassis. I'd assume they would have changed this to Tri wings now.

HOWEVER, when I first did my HDD I definitely didn't have the Torx, I used a pair of pliers. Just take the HDD out and twist the screw/studs off, you wont do any damage.

12. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Nope. The only triwing is used for the battery. The rest are PH00 and T6.

13. kolax macrumors G3

So it is still PH 00 on the base of the MBP or is it a tri-wing?

14. Chupa Chupa thread starter macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Got my MBP earlier today. The triwing is indeed only for the battery and the battery does not need to be removed to replace the HD. I bought a triwing driver at Microcenter for $2.99 before I rec'd my MBP but I'll keep it around just in case. It would cost me $3 in gas any way to return it.

The little screws that stick out from the sides of the HD are still Torx -- T6 I believe. Really easy install. The bottom case is on very well. You need to run your fingers in between the gap to release the internal clips. To it carefully so as not to to bend the case. The clips will succumb with the right amount of pressure.