Any Bad Credit iPhone Users?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EgbertAttrick, Jun 4, 2008.

1. EgbertAttrick macrumors regular

Though I have made credit mistakes in the past (stupidity, divorce, etc.), I am finally financially able to afford the iPhone and the somewhat higher AT&T service plan. I had Cingular in the past, and they required a $75 deposit from me. Whatever. Had service until contract was finished, switched providers, now I want to switch back. HOWEVER...

They want a $750(!) deposit from me for service with them again (baffling, as my credit has only improved since then... I guess it has something to do with AT&T taking over). I find this absolutely ridiculous, so I am looking for some less expensive answers.

Is it true there is a prepaid option (like T-Mobile's FlexPay) if you don't pass credit check when activating with iTunes?

If you have had this problem, what did you do to get your iPhone?

2. iphone.luke macrumors member

Im 18 and have an "A" Credit score and can get any contract without deposit!

But I have worked hard to build my credit

3. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

Do pay as you go plan from AT&T. My friend did it. When u activate from itunes go through the process it will say u dont have necessary credit. Then gives u an option for pay as you go. Click that.

4. EgbertAttrick thread starter macrumors regular

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Google it - sounds like you can use this to bypass the credit check to get a pre-paid plan...

6. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

Wouldnt that be falsifying your identity ?

7. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Its not like you're committing fraud since you're still paying for the phone / plan. I used 999-99-9999 just to get the GoPhone plan, I don't want to be tied to a contract.

8. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

Give me your SSN so that I could go buy a new car... Its not like I'm committing a crime since I'm planning to pay my monthly dues on time. WTF !!!

9. EgbertAttrick thread starter macrumors regular

It's not a(n) SSN... It's a credit bypass code that AT&T reps use, apparently. I am wondering if anyone has used it.

10. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

Your 18!!!! Live life a little first;) then see what your score is. Get married:eek:have kids:eek:

11. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

Hey I have a good score:p I am 19! Live with my gf, Work and go to college:p

12. mariokarter macrumors member

13. iphonewiz macrumors regular

Just go the pre-paid route. Monthly pricing a bit higher, but you don't have to drop $750!

14. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

That's what I used to avoid being tied to a contract. The monthly price is a bit higher, for ALOT less minutes, but I don't use the phone portion nearly often enough to run out of minutes before the end of the month. $29.99 for 300 minutes, and $20 for the unlimited data.

15. EgbertAttrick thread starter macrumors regular

No.

16. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I thought I had bad credit, but I was able to get service with AT&T without a deposit or paying anything for the phones. I was totally shocked. I guess it isn't as bad as I thought. ;) I now have an iphone (2 days ago) and still didn't have to pay anything.
    Good Luck.

17. c.joe.go macrumors regular

c.joe.go

i have yet to stop laughing at this.

congratulations on this impressive achievement, the simple fact that you posted such a statement causes me to loose faith in future generations.

on topic: save the money for the deposit. it will help you exercise financial discipline and will give you time to reflect on the purchase of the phone.

18. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

IIRC, if you consistently pay on time for pay as you go, after 6-12 months they'll move you to post-paid upon request without a deposit.