Any Bankers Here? Got a (Silly?) Question ...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pimentoLoaf, Feb 26, 2009.

1. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

I have to deposit a check for someone who is ill and I don't have an account at that bank. Is this sort of thing allowed if there's a note from the person with that account?

No withdrawal; just a deposit.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

If the recipient is completely unavailable, you can even get around endorsement. It is acceptable to write "FOR DEPOSIT ONLY" in the endorsement space instead of signing it.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Presumably, it he can get a note from said person, said person can endorse a check. :p

5. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

It's a deposit :confused:.

If money was coming out of the account that's a different matter, a deposit is no problem at all.

You could practice on my account if you like :p :)

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Don't worry. That's pretty much the opposite of theft (anti-theft??), so I think you're safe. ;)

7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I'm pretty sure you do need their account number, though. :) But otherwise, shouldn't be a problem... banks are only too happy to take money from you.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not really if you can confirm their mailing address. It's a bit more to go through, but it's possible. I've done it.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Or a deposit slip.

There's also the option, if this person trusts you enough, to give you their ATM card and PIN, so you can avoid any hassles you might have at a teller, but you probably won't have any

Heh, I've always wondered why Chase, who I have my credit card with, has such tight security around their online banking. The only thing you can do online to my credit card account is pay my bill, and if someone wants to do that for me, then they can access my account all they want :D

10. pimentoLoaf thread starter macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Yeah, there's a deposit slip and all the particulars. The checks are pre-endorsed, too.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You should be fine then. I've never had my ID checked when making a deposit, they won't know if you're the person on the deposit slip or the man in the moon

12. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yep, this is a quicker and less expensive way to give people money quick if they have an account.

Just take their account number and deposit the money directly into their account, cheaper that Western Union or a wire transfer.

Back when the accounts didn't work nationally it was a problem, but most of those are gone now. Just need a local branch to make it easy.