Any bass guitar player here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ButtUglyJeff, Mar 19, 2010.

1. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

My son, after 6 years of cello, wants to try something new. So, starting Monday, he's switching from orchestra to band, so he can start playing electric bass guitar.

He's excited, so I really want to be supportive.

I'm looking for any advice that I can pass on to him, to help with the transition. He's using school equipment, to start. But I'm sure I'll need to make some purchases for him, by summer vacation.

Thanks.

2. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

If he has any difficulties with classical notation, Tabalture is a good way to read the music--almost like reading grids on a map. I know also that some bass players tend to start getting into 5 or 6 stringed, basses but let him stick with the 4 string as long as possible and learn how to tune on the fly. If he is going acoutsic, basses tend to run a minimun of 300 bucks, electrics are cheaper for a low end. Likely you'll wind up spending around 200 for a cheap bass and a 30 watt practice amp. A low priced small stage worthy rig will run you around 400 (around 300 for a semi decent basic 4 string with just basic tone and volume controls bass, and 100 for an OK 50 watt solid state amp) bought new. But you can probably hit the pawn shop and get the equipment cheaper.

3. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Not much to offer other than to say I think it's great you're supporting him in his musical endeavors. You didn't say how old he is other than he's had 6 years of orchestra so I'm assuming he's in high school. I'd consider personal lessons on the side to augment the stuff he'll be learning in band.

4. ButtUglyJeff thread starter macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

Thanks. My son is in 7th grade, he's only 12. I'll be looking into lessons for over the summer. I'm waiting on a reply from an email I sent to his new band instructor, on suggestions for a bass instructor.

5. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Likely his band instructor would suggest a pro instructor working out of a local music shop. A few of those smaller outfits offer lessons at a reasonable hourly rate. I had a bro in law who was taking guitar lessons at 15 bucks a session a few years back through a local luthier and shop owner.

The added advantage of this is if the guy not only gives lessons, you might get a big price break on the repair services if the instrument isn't functioning properly--sometimes even new equipment right out of the box may not work perfectly and needs finer adjustments.