any battery life difference between i5 and i7 haswell

Acorn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
if i upgrade from the haswell i5 to the i7 how much of an impact on battery life do you think it will take.

jjfcpa

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
if i upgrade from the haswell i5 to the i7 how much of an impact on battery life do you think it will take.
Battery life is critical for me because I'm always on the move instead of tethered to an AC outlet. I went with the i7 because I've got a 2012 i7 right now and I get about 6 hours running VMWare and web, office.

I'm willing to take the trade off in battery life for the performance advantage.

curtoise

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Maybe not, but the difference would be negligible. Same TDP.
I've ordered the i7 and thinking on changing the order, I've seen tests of 2012 MBA with i5 and i7 and the i7 was much hotter, faster fan rpm speeds and less battery life than the i5, I wonder if the new Haswell processor is any different than the 2012 model.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
I've ordered the i7 and thinking on changing the order, I've seen tests of 2012 MBA with i5 and i7 and the i7 was much hotter, faster fan rpm speeds and less battery life than the i5, I wonder if the new Haswell processor is any different than the 2012 model.
anandtech.com only showed a 15-25 min battery life difference at most for the 2012 MBA i5 vs i7.

curtoise

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
anandtech.com only showed a 15-25 min battery life difference at most for the 2012 MBA i5 vs i7.
That's a lot in my book and more considering heat increase and fan noise and spinning times too, I'm wondering what are the test results for Haswell, hopefully they will be posted soon.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
I fail to see how upgrading to the i7 would increase running hotness. Surely, if there was any, it'd be under load that surpasses the i5 performance threshold?

curtoise

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
I fail to see how upgrading to the i7 would increase hotness. Surely, if there was any, it'd be under load that surpasses the i5 performance threshold?
There is an extensive test with videos done on the 2012 models ( looking for the link to post ) where you can see the i7 running at 100 degrees against 86-90 degrees on the i5 running extensive tasks, I wonder if Haswell is any different.

curtoise

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
You are assuming your usage patterns match the testing that was done. A very bad assumption.
You are assuming that you know my usage patterns. A very bad assumption.

The tests performed in the previous model match my usage patterns. There were not scientific tests in a lab, they were normal use tests.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Get the i5 if you want a cooler machine, lower freq, lower heat. BTW, Haswell's are hotter than Ivy B.

Roman2K~

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
Thanks, do you have any links to review and tests website with the new MBA?
There's this excellent article by Michael Olivero that I liked very much, comparing the 2012 i5 vs. i7, focusing on battery life and heat output:
So yes, there actually is a difference between the i5 and i7, at least on Ivy Bridge. The conclusion is simple: if you favor battery life (and/or cool operation) over performance, then i5, otherwise i7.

warriorz

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
That won't happen for a while, not the whole comprehensive tests you want on heat, battery life anyway. (Anandtech does have a 13 inch model i5 at the moment but he states he's on the road so that one won't be tested for a bit). I'd say that is the test to look out for. He's always comprehensive on comparisons for battery life and associated issues such as heat generation, temperatures, fan initiation and running speeds and so on, all of which impact battery life. But who knows there might be a minimal difference, at least in comparison to last years models. But that's just speculation at the moment, lets wait for his results.

Last edited:

curtoise

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
There's this excellent article by Michael Olivero that I liked very much, comparing the 2012 i5 vs. i7, focusing on battery life and heat output:
So yes, there actually is a difference between the i5 and i7, at least on Ivy Bridge. The conclusion is simple: if you favor battery life (and/or cool operation) over performance, then i5, otherwise i7.

That is the exact test that I was watching too and yes you can see that there are difference on that processor, I wonder if the 2013 are the same.