Any battery life reports for new rMBP yet?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by badlydrawnboy, Oct 24, 2013.

1. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

Hoping that Apple might have underestimated the 13" rMBP's battery life at 9 hours. If it can get 10+, that will be the deciding factor for me.

2. waldpet macrumors newbie

Got mine today. Although its had very little use so far the battery seems good, currently on 95% with 12:36 remaining, backlit keyboard off and screen on half brightness (this seems suspiciously high).

I checked the battery capacity on coconut and it seems current capacity is some 320mAh higher than the designed capacity. Are others getting this or have I just struck lucky with a mutant battery?

[​IMG]

3. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cool. Are you going to run it all the way down? Please let us know how much you get if so!

4. JSalig macrumors 6502

Just fully charged mine. Looking at over 11 hours at 99%. Currently at 75% brightness. Keyboard is not backlit. We'll see if it holds.

5. waldpet macrumors newbie

What capacity did yours come out the box with JSalig?

6. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I'm waiting to find this out too (though it's more of a time filler for me. I've already decided to buy the late 2013 model). I'm hoping real world usage beats Apple's estimates like the 2013 MBA does.

7. JSalig, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

JSalig macrumors 6502

Current capacity is 6609
    Design capacity is 6330

Pro now says 12:13 at 93%. Probably not accurate but so far I can easily see it going over 10 hours under light usage.

8. Branskins macrumors 65816

Verge review came out for the almost top of the line 15 inch: http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/10/24/5024346/macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review-15-inch-2013

They said their Verge battery test lasted 9 hours and 35 minutes at 65% screen brightness. That's crazy!!!

9. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

10. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

That is super-encouraging because Apple only rated the 15" at 8 hours. If the 13" performs as well, we could expect maybe 10.5 hours on it.

That's good enough for me, and would seal the deal on the 13" rMBP.

11. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

PDFierro should be excited if he looked at this thread. Wonderful news.

I am a bit disappointed the 15 incher didn't break the 10 hour mark. I hope during the tests, that factored in a lot of usage from the discrete graphics chip as opposed to the integrated. I would love to see some form of review of what the battery life is like Iris Pro only for the upper-end 15'' model.

12. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Yes I am! And considering I got the i7, that means I shouldn't really see any loss of battery life under a light workload.

Going to have to put a movie marathon to the test next week. Anything over 9 hours would be great.

13. Not That Future macrumors newbie

+1

I don't need a dGPU so I'm planning to buy the base 15" model and upgrade the RAM/storage to 8GB/512GB. This bumps the price up to the cost of the higher-end model with a dGPU (wtf Apple?), but if there's battery life improvements and better heat management with an Iris Pro-only model, that's what I'm buying!

14. dizmonk macrumors regular

Any reports on the 13" for battery life? Mine is being delivered today. I'm curious if it will even come close to the Air?? Since upgrading to Mavericks I'm easily getting 10-13 hours of real world usage....

I'm REALLY hoping the new MBP gets at least 9...

15. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Just curious about how your battery life is doing in regular daily tasks, even though it seems like it's only been a day. I'm still waiting on my 13" rMBP, so I can't test it myself. (also, nice to see you outside of the Waiting for Haswell thread :D)

16. JayDH macrumors 6502

I was getting ridiculous battery life with my 13" rMBP on a flight yesterday. I had Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned off, display at around 40%, and was only using Preview and Word (a typical usage scenario for me working on the plane). After the 6-hour flight, I had 12 hours remaining!

Attached Files:

17. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Woot!

18. iosuser macrumors 6502a

My Haswell 13" has been on since 7am this morning. It's now 1pm and I'm at 38%. Did nothing heavy, transferred about 20GB of files off a USB drive, did some stuff in iPhoto, some flash video from websites. I'm pretty sure I'll get 10+ hours out of it. I walked away while it was copying off the USB drive which probably used up more battery than it needed to.

PS when I first turned it on the reported estimated run time was almost 16hrs.

Attached Files:

19. JSalig macrumors 6502

I've had my rMBP for a day and battery life has been better than I expected. 10+ hours is easy to achieve under light use. However, if you enjoy web-surfing in apps such as Chrome for hours at a time, expect around 5-6 hours. That's how much I got after playing with it last night after a full charge and 75% brightness. One might squeeze in a few more hours by using safari though.

20. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Anyone know why this is?

21. iosuser macrumors 6502a

Chrome, doing its thing mining your data for Google :p

22. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't do this unless you're planning to run Boot Camp, where the dGPU will always be enabled if it's available. In OS X you can use gfxCardStatus to pick the GPU yourself (except when plugged into an external display), essentially removing the disadvantages of a dGPU. When disabled the 750m is not using any power, so it has no impact on thermals or battery life.

Chrome enables the dGPU, which is crazy. We're talking about a maximum 20% performance delta between chips, and Chrome is a web browser. As mentioned above get gfxCardStatus, set it to "integrated only" until you actually need the 750m for a specific application.

23. JSalig macrumors 6502

All I know is once you're actively using Chrome and got a few tabs open time left on battery goes down almost shockingly fast. It's pretty nasty on RAM too. That's how it is on my MBP. Maybe that'll change after its broken in some more but I doubt it. I might just uninstall.

24. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Like Walrus says, Chrome forces your MBP to use only the power-hungry 750M, which will dramatically reduce your battery life.

If you decide you still want to use Chrome on battery power, download and install gfxCardStatus (it's free!) and set the mode to "Iris Pro only" when you don't have AC power at your disposal. That should help a lot.