Any benefit to OS reinstall?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vansouza, Dec 15, 2007.

1. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

When I used XP I would format and reinstall XP at least 2 or 3 times a year to keep it running fast. Does the same hold true with UNIX systems like Leopard. Does installing lots of trial ware programs really slow it down? i am fighting the urge to reinstall Leopard and I know it is just a windows hold over urge but it is still there and strong. So I was wondering if there is a real benefit to a reinstall... thanks...:confused:

2. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

I feel the same way sometimes. However I have managed to resist the urge by simple things like a restart, quitting applications that have been running for a while etc etc, all quite menial but it does the job here. Im not sure of the problems that you are having but its sometime nice to wipe the slate clean and start over but I think the practicalities of this are quite low.
    On the topic of trialware applications I would suggest using an application such as AppZapper or AppTrap (which I personally use) which removes any associated files of the application when it is uninstalled so remnants of the application aren't left over to potentially cause problems later.
    Im not sure of what the reinstall actually achieves in the terms of sorting things out, maybe wiping some preference files that may be causing troubles, rewriting parts of the system that have become errant (running Repair Permission just sprang to mind that might help, in Disk Utility, it's worth a try) I don't know
    Im sure the others have some more input to add ;)

3. lil'homunculus macrumors regular

lil'homunculus

just check your permissions first; re-examine your "log-in" items; run Onyx, or a like-minded program; trust your own instincts-if it feels like it is running slower, it very well may be--we have an inner time-keeping mechanism that will make us impatient if things are not running as they should usually seem to do (red lights, boiling pots of water, hand jobs:eek:, etc.)

4. lil'homunculus macrumors regular

lil'homunculus

i wasn't going to submit that last remark, until i accidently hit 'submit' (oops), i immediately went to edit, but then i started to laugh at myself, and thought, "nah, Let it go" sorry if i offended a few of you:eek:

5. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Dear oh dear, control yourself, its family site :mad:
    Nah sod it, I chuckled :)
    Merry Christmas

6. lil'homunculus macrumors regular

lil'homunculus

my badd:eek:

7. vansouza thread starter macrumors 68000

vansouza

I guess it's cold up North and you have to keep warm somehow. :eek:

Repairing permissions and what ever else Onyx does right now...

8. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Yeah central heating just doesn't quite cut it! :)

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

In my experience trying to fix things that aren't broken only leads to problems. There are (and no doubt there will be many more in the future) thread saying how they did something with utilty X and it broke something.

I do not use Onyx and would not recommend it as a useful/needed program.

OS X is good at keeping itself tidy in the main.

10. lil'homunculus macrumors regular

lil'homunculus

oh... i got's lotsa central heating, you rascals. We gots the TAR SANDS, bless your diminishing "amerucun dollur"! (sorry fer the BUSHspeek)

11. lil'homunculus macrumors regular

lil'homunculus

"I do not use Onyx and would not recommend it as a useful/needed program."

OS X is good at keeping itself tidy in the main.[/QUOTE]

it astounds me how so many folks can recommend against something they 'admittedly' don't use.
    You, in particular, are someone i have noticed who has a whole bunch of opinions. I don't mind opinions, just put some useful words behind them, and i might become endeared to your sage advice. Otherwise, what good is your advice good for?

12. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I have used it in the past and see my previous post about seeing numerous posts in macrumors about using a utility like onyx has messed something up.

13. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Sorry for being in the UK ;)
    I thought vansouza post was directed at us here up in the UK

14. vansouza thread starter macrumors 68000

vansouza

Not to worry, there is enough cold to go around. We have lots right here in Las Vegas; feels very cold this year.

Back on topic: Onyx ran and I rebooted; I also deleted a few programs using AppZapper. I will give it a few more days so see how it runs and feels. I know it is the MS way of doing things that is clouding my thoughts; but I might just do a reinstall and time things to see if it is perception or reality that is messing with me. :D

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The answer to your question is an emphatic "no." Under normal circumstances, you should never have to reinstall OSX unless your hard drive goes south.

16. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

As far as the system is concerned, the answer is no.

Although, when upgrading to Leopard I wanted to start fresh, so I did an erase and install. Does my system run better because of it? No, but it was the perfect opportunity for me to do some "spring cleaning" and reorganize my files, and now I run better because of it. :D