Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gonnabuyamacbsh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
I notice a lot of people want the white macbook killed. Especially pro and air owners. Why?

I want it gone because I don't think apple will ever go less than the $999 mark for a laptop and hope if white mb is killed 13" mbp could start at $999 like the 11" mba.

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
I completely agree with you in why I want the white MacBook gone. I also think it's ugly and essentially a MacBook Pro in a crappier body. However, as discussed in another thread, Apple may be keeping the white MacBook purely for psychological reasons. When the consumer sees that the 13" MBP is only $200 above the $999 of the white MacBook, he/she may be lured into spending just "a little bit more" on the better build quality, keyboard, and screen. This has to help Apple sell a heapload of the 13" pros.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
I would also imagine that the MB is seen more in certain professional/rental/loaner places than the Pro due to costs, as it still sells very well, yet virtually everyone I know with a Mac laptop has a MBP:confused:

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
If Apple are still able to sell heaps of MBs then why should they get rid of it? Apple's marketing department are pretty sharp and have proved themselves year-in, year-out and I would never question them.

The white MB is their entry-level notebook and most probably an important component to Apple's overall marketing strategy.

gonnabuyamacbsh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
If Apple are still able to sell heaps of MBs then why should they get rid of it? Apple's marketing department are pretty sharp and have proved themselves year-in, year-out and I would never question them.

The white MB is their entry-level notebook and most probably an important component to Apple's overall marketing strategy.

yeah....

I'm pretty sure I didn't ask how having the white mb benefits apple lulz

aCondor

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2010
United States
I completely agree with you in why I want the white MacBook gone. I also think it's ugly and essentially a MacBook Pro in a crappier body. However, as discussed in another thread, Apple may be keeping the white MacBook purely for psychological reasons. When the consumer sees that the 13" MBP is only $200 above the $999 of the white MacBook, he/she may be lured into spending just "a little bit more" on the better build quality, keyboard, and screen. This has to help Apple sell a heapload of the 13" pros.

This.

But IF the white MB is killed... Would something replace it at the same price point? Maybe the 13" MBP? Don't see this happening, though.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
I always read these things literally and I'm like... what? What is a LULZ?

I kept seeing it pop up on the forum today and thought it was Lutz from 30 Rock:

49966298.jpg

(Lutz is the one dressed as Bofa Fett if you don't watch the show)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.