Any bigger discounts as a student?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DatzKray, Oct 29, 2016.

1. DatzKray macrumors member

hey guys!! This is my first big purchase! I spent 3.1k including tax for these specs. I am a full time student! Is this the best discount i can get? 3.1 is pricey too/:

Also is 500gb enough or should i get 1tb? I dont edit videos, or play games. I only use it for school purposes, surf the web and all that stuff.

I use to own the mid 2012 apple laptop 13' from best buy with the regular specs. Why does it slow down as time passes by... i feel like apple trys to slow the computer down over the years just for you to buy a new computer!!

I bought this with my own money, and i didnt depend on my parents for this! Thanks for helping me out guys!! I hope you answer all of my questions!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 29, 2016 ---
    Here are the specs

Attached Files:

2. Hal~9000, Oct 29, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016

Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Just an idea but if you like your 13-inch but say Apple slows it down over time (I assume you mean OS updates)... then why not revert back to a previous version of the OS when it was faster? That way you'd save the $3100 till when you really need it.

3. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

I think apple just offers whatever the student discount is. I got a 15inch MBP too and got $270 discount. Same specs as yours but I went for the 1Tb SSD.

As for the slow downs your experiencing, I don't think apple is purposefully slowing your mac down. I think what's happening is that as time goes on software becomes more demanding as developers pack more features in. Therefore your computer eventually can't keep up and you experience slowness.

4. DatzKray thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys! Would you also think 500gb would be more than enough? I dont do any video editing or play games

5. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

Personally for me, no, but I play games and I'm also a computer science major. I think you'll be fine at 500GB.