Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Picapau21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2015
Anybody in Australia got their airpods yet?

Looking forward to seeing some early reviews from the other side of the world.

PurpleSookie

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2016
Australia
Still only 830am on the east coast, but shouldn't be too much longer. I have to wait until tomorrow as I live in the middle of nowhere!

I-Bot

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2008
My City
Question for those in Aus, was in-store pickup availability right away for those hoping to get it in store or did you folks have to physically go to the store to find out? I'm in America but I don't get off work until 5:00ish when they come out so I'm hoping if I can do in-store pickup, I will but if not and I have to physically go to the store, I hope they still have them in stock.

Reactions: gemnilocs

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
IMG_6754.JPG
IMG_6753.JPG

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Question for those in Aus, was in-store pickup availability right away for those hoping to get it in store or did you folks have to physically go to the store to find out? I'm in America but I don't get off work until 5:00ish when they come out so I'm hoping if I can do in-store pickup, I will but if not and I have to physically go to the store, I hope they still have them in stock.

The in store pick up option is still greyed out here. Had to physically go to the store :)

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia

No availability for pickup for online store.

Have to physically be at the store, look for it on the shelf where the headphones are

Picapau21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2015

You must be one of the first people to buy one in the world.

So big question? How do they sound compared to the standard AirPods? better, same or worse?
[doublepost=1482103154][/doublepost]
Just walked into Apple Canberra whilst out getting coffee at work. No line, about 20 in stock and 5 people buying.
Sounds better than I expected, a bit more bass than EarPods. They feel great, I can't tell I have them in and they stay in.

Intersting that they sound better. That was my biggest worry about spending so much on these. Any way you can do a blind test?

Reactions: SHKLMRE

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
You must be one of the first people to buy one in the world.

So big question? How do they sound compared to the standard AirPods? better, same or worse?
[doublepost=1482103154][/doublepost]

They are great! The sound quality seems to have a little more bass than the EarPods (in a good way)! Overall not a huge improvement in sounds quality, however they are absolutely fantastic! The no wires feeling is strange, but so good! They are so light that it feels like you don't have them in your ears; almost like the music is coming from nowhere, it's just kind of there.

And I can't stress this enough: they fit so well, it's almost impossible for them to fall out of my ears! They simply won't fall out if you're running or jumping!

I love them!

Picapau21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2015
They are great! The sound quality seems to have a little more bass than the EarPods (in a good way)! Overall not a huge improvement in sounds quality, however they are absolutely fantastic! The no wires feeling is strange, but so good! They are so light that it feels like you don't have them in your ears; almost like the music is coming from nowhere, it's just kind of there.

And I can't stress this enough: they fit so well, it's almost impossible for them to fall out of my ears! They simply won't fall out if you're running or jumping!

I love them!

Brilliant! Should be getting my pair tomorrow. Look forward to trying them out. I currently use a pair of on ear bluetooth headphones. Although they sound great, they are a pain to travel with on a day to day basis. Need to take a large case around everywhere to protect them or hang them on my neck and look some sort of wanna be hipster DJ!

Reactions: eagleglen

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
I managed to get a pair from the Apple Store in Broadway in Sydney and have been testing them out for the last 15 mins.

Fit: Fits perfectly and there are no issues of them falling out. It just sat in my ear as I wandered around the house. They almost feel like they're not there cos they're so light.

Charging case: Standard Apple white plastic. Magnetic closure and snaps close very satisfyingly. The AirPods themselves also magnetically snap into their slots.

Sound: They do sound a bit clearer and better than the standard EarPods. I'm no audiophile but I'm very happy with the sound quality.

Connection: Took less than 5 seconds on the iPhone 7 plus. Opened the case and they automatically appeared on the phone screen. Opened my MacBook Pro and they showed up in less than 5 seconds under the bluetooth tab.

Transition between iPhone and MacBook:
Had music playing on the iPhone. Turned on the music on the MacBook and the music in the AirPods automatically stops. MB music plays through the speakers and doesn't automatically play in the AirPods though. You have to physically select AirPods in the bluetooth tab.
Opened the music app on the iPhone and the message "Looks like you're listening music on another device. To resume listening here, just press play". I did and the music from the iPhone came back into the AirPods.

Overall very happy with the purchase. I'm most satisfied with the simple connection and transition, and the fact that they fit perfectly with no risk of falling out.

Happy to take any questions :)

Some pics here: https://imgur.com/a/5ktoc

Dimoss

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2006
Melbourne
I got mine delivered to work this morning. My thought's exactly with what Boardiesboi said, they are awesome.

HOWEVER they have a major flaw. In my case (and 1 other person on twitter I saw so far), the connection (with my iPhone 7) very often gets lost for a split second, with crackling and popping sounds. This is extremely annoying. I'm not sure if it's my unit, a batch of units, or a generic issue with them all. I'll continue using them in different settings and see how they go. If it continues I'll ask for a replacement set. If it's a wide spread issue, I guess there will be a #PoppingGate of sorts

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.