Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ramsos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2002
Oakland, California
I know I do, but I won't pay this price. It also has a Handy dandy 1.3 Megapixel camera. Hopefully this will be realeased in the US soon. More storage would be neccesary for it to be useful with iTunes.

http://www.wirelessimports.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=553

mo-v3blk.jpg

And if your really a big spender you can have the next generation RazR after that here.
http://www.wirelessimports.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=470

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
A cell phone should only:
1. Receive calls.
2. Make calls.

In my opinion, all these cameras and mp3 players are completely unnecessary on phones... they're (the cameras, at least) terrible quality. I get my phones for free and they simply make calls. That's all they're supposed to do. Phones are for calling. Cameras are for pictures. iPods are for music. I think it's a waste of money to spend so much money on one thing that does all of them in a half-ass way. If you've already got a digital camera and an iPod, just buy a phone that calls people. If you've already got a phone and an iPod, just buy a digital camera, etc. The only reason I see for buying a multiple-media phone would be if you don't have ANY of these three items prior to checking out the purchase prospects.

Daniel

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
BurtonCCC said:
1. Receive calls.
2. Make calls.

In my opinion, all these cameras and mp3 players are completely unnecessary on phones... they're (the cameras, at least) terrible quality. I get my phones for free and they simply make calls. That's all they're supposed to do. Phones are for calling. Cameras are for pictures. iPods are for music. I think it's a waste of money to spend so much money on one thing that does all of them in a half-ass way. If you've already got a digital camera and an iPod, just buy a phone that calls people. If you've already got a phone and an iPod, just buy a digital camera, etc. The only reason I see for buying a multiple-media phone would be if you don't have ANY of these three items prior to checking out the purchase prospects.

Daniel

heh. . . completely agree!!! if a company would focus on making the best phone, that was ONLY a phone. . . maybe i would actually get good service wherever i went!!!!! but who really cares about the quality of the call if the phone does 10 other things to keep me occupied while the phone function isnt working!!!

maddav

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2004
Manchester, UK
BurtonCCC said:
1. Receive calls.
2. Make calls.

Daniel

That's pretty much what I've come around to in the past couple of years, about 2 1/2 years ago I bought a big fat PDA/phone thingy (P800) it was great, but I didn't need all that, then I 'Downgraded' to a Nokia 7610, that was great, but I never used the Megapixel camera, next phone was similar, then I downgraded again to a K700, which had a slightly worse camera, but had room for mp3s!!! Again useless as i own an iPod.

NOW, I've got a Moto Razr, true it has a camera, but only has a very little storage (6MB - so no MP3s!!) but I bought the phone because it was small and looked nice, not because of the bells and whistles that I didn't use. I still like looking at new phones, but I've found that integration into phones has been a pretty lousy progression.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
BurtonCCC said:
1. Receive calls.
2. Make calls.

Daniel

Features I commonly use on my phone that aren't #1 or #2:
1.) Calendar- I have one at home, but sometimes it's nice to be able to see what day the 23rd falls on next month when I'm not at my desk.

2.) Notes- I have a pen and paper at home, but I use the Notes function on my phone all the time for jotting down quick information that I would otherwise forget.

3.) Alarm clock- I've got one of these, too, but the phone alarm is great for taking naps or alerting me to a certain time when I need to leave or be somewhere.

4.) Calculator- I really don't want to carry around a separate calculator even though I have one and I could carry it around with me.

5.) Text messaging- I send and recieve more text messages than I do phone calls. I would never even consider a phone that I couldn't text on.

I gather I would use my camera more if it were of higher quality. I'm not just talking about the newest 2 megapixel camera in a phone thing either, I'm saying I'd use it more if the camera in the SE T616 just didn't plain suck! Not every picture I take has to be print quality, as I rarely print anything out anyway.

(Yes, I know that you are talking specifically about tunes and cameras on phones, but at one point, the features I listed weren't part of phones either...and phones still do some of these things half-assed...but they work well enough.)

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Also, I would guess that more pictures were taken overall in the last year than in any year prior. Putting a camera in a device that people are already going to carry with them everywhere is, in that way, genius. Remember, regular digital cameras started out with the same quality that some of the phones have now. It's only a matter of time before that quality gets better and better.

Preserving memories in the way a photograph can is priceless. I don't know how many times I've thought to myself, "I'd love to have a picture of this," only to not have a camera with me. When they are able to put a good quality camera in a phone (which, I think, they are decently close to doing now) the number of pictures I'll have of my friends and family will skyrocket, solely because I'll have a camera with me. I think that the sociological perspective of this has not even begun to have been realized.

driftingaway

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2005
London
I have to disagree with the above posters who state phones should just be phones. I work for 3 in the UK, a 3G service provider who now offer phones (such as the V3x, above, coming out 16th November) that can not only be used as phones, but to download mp3s, watch TV (we currently offer 6 channels including FOX and Cartoon Network - this will grow) from ANYWHERE with your handset, make a video call and see the other caller on the screen (lots of fun calling my girlfriend when i haven't seen her for a while), play multiplayer games with someone at the other end of the country, and of course listen to all your mp3s and often radio too.

BurtonCCC, I think you have it totally backwards. Do you really want to carry around a digicam, an iPod, a mobile phone, a radio and a portable TV? I don't know about you but I don't have endless pocket space.
What if all these things could be incorporated into one high speed, high quality device that was the same size or smaller than your iPod?

And what if, for the cost of buying an iPod new, you could take one of these devices absolutely free, with only the line rental to pay (say, £300 total a year) and with all the service included?

PS. Regarding that Moto V3 with iTunes, it's simply a V3 with the ROKR firmware. The memory inside will still be the same, meaning you can store...ooh, 3 whole songs on there.
In the same way, I was bored and installed the SE W800 (walkman phone) software on my standard SonyEricsson phone, and yes it worked, but I couldn't put more than 5 songs on there.

Ramsos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2002
Oakland, California
driftingaway said:
PS. Regarding that Moto V3 with iTunes, it's simply a V3 with the ROKR firmware. The memory inside will still be the same, meaning you can store...ooh, 3 whole songs on there.

According to the site ithe hone was upgraded to 60 mb, I believe my current Razr is only 6mb.

driftingaway

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2005
London
Ramsos said:
According to the site ithe hone was upgraded to 60 mb, I believe my current Razr is only 6mb.

Interesting, I take back what I said - they do seem to have either modified this (I just noticed the higher resolution camera) themselves or gotten a prototype from Motorola. I guess all mobile companies make prototypes, whether they end up too expensive for their market or don't work 100% well defines whether they get released.

Fact is though, 60MB is still only enough for one album at 192kbps quality :(

Ramsos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2002
Oakland, California
driftingaway said:
Fact is though, 60MB is still only enough for one album at 192kbps quality :(

I agree 100% :( this phone would need memory cards to be truly useful, it also has a 1.3 MP camera and my Razr is just VGA. It is a prototype.

carpe diem

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
Ramsos said:
I agree 100% :( this phone would need memory cards to be truly useful, it also has a 1.3 MP camera and my Razr is just VGA. It is a prototype.
What does VGA stand for

driftingaway

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2005
London
carpe diem said:
What does VGA stand for

Video Graphics Adaptor, technically.

In the early 90's, VGA graphics cards/monitors came out for early PCs that could display 256 colours and had a resolution of 640x480 pixels. The term is now used to describe any camera that outputs that amount of pixels (around 0.6 mpixels).

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
$2300 is that a joke? I would get a powermac G5 instead and carry that around with me before I paid that much for a stinkin phone. :D

I have a v3 razr and won't even turn on bluetooth as it sucks the battery like nobodys business. Imagine playing itunes... give it 10 minutes of battery time then.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I need a new phone, and all it has to do is not suck. Long battery life and good sound are important to me. MP3 playing and taking pics are just cake. I'm not happy with the ROKR, but I'm hoping the next model will be better. It kinda has to be.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
carpe diem said:
By the way does the rokr have a camera?

yes.

i have a razr, and its really thin. that was a dealbreaker for me. my advice: wait for it to come out in the us. cheaper, will have transflash/miniSD capability, counts as phone upgrade...it'll be worth the wait

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Argh! This is terrible, I might have to get one in April when my current Razr's subscription is up... Except I swore to go back to Sony Ericsson after the terrible UI experience I've had with Motorola, but now I'm not sure.... eeep!

driftingaway

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2005
London
hob said:
Argh! This is terrible, I might have to get one in April when my current Razr's subscription is up... Except I swore to go back to Sony Ericsson after the terrible UI experience I've had with Motorola, but now I'm not sure.... eeep!

If you want a V3x and you want a good deal, and you're anywhere near Uxbridge (end of Metropolitan line), i'll sort you out ;)
No iTunes phone though. If you read above it says there's only a few in stock, and they cost £8,000 or so each....

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
The new RAZR with 1.3MP camera and so on has been touted since about April. The iTunes software is a new thing for it but it's effectively pointless without decent memory and the 1.3MP camera will be mid-range once it comes out, another sign that Motorola-world is some 18 months behind the rest.

driftingaway said:
Do you really want to carry around a digicam, an iPod, a mobile phone, a radio and a portable TV? I don't know about you but I don't have endless pocket space.
What if all these things could be incorporated into one high speed, high quality device that was the same size or smaller than your iPod?

Absolutely. Imagine not needing to carry an iPod and a phone - just a phone. It's an evolution. A 2GB memory stick in your phone? Brilliant. It's a slight hassle having to reorganise your tunes when you get bored with them, but no more than it is on a smaller (than big iPod) MP3 player.

Also, cameras on phones are amazing, They've spawned a new age in media. If you remember, much of the footage of the 7/7 bombings in London was taken on mobile phones. The public became reporters. That's not so much evolution as Revolution. It's equivalent to Wikis, blogs and so on on the internet. The Power is with the people etc etc...

Calls are important (obviously) and if a phone can do that the worst out of any of its features then it's going to be unpopular. But, a phone that just does calls is, these days, less than people expect. I hated going back to a camera-less, bluetooth-less, MMS-less phone in the interim before getting a W800i which has since become one of my top 5 gadgets and it's relegated the iPod to home stereo status.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
I agree that music on a phone is ridiculous. The camera is a nice touch. I like having a camera phone, but I couldn't stand listening to music on a telephone. Even if it did have iTunes. And especially if you could only get it from one carrier, it had a 100 song cap, and was basically the same thing as another phone model but with an extra piece of software that you had to pay a premium for (hint hint).

Is it just me or does the new RAZR look uglier and thicker than the previous generation?

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
cleanup said:
I agree that music on a phone is ridiculous. The camera is a nice touch. I like having a camera phone, but I couldn't stand listening to music on a telephone. Even if it did have iTunes. And especially if you could only get it from one carrier, it had a 100 song cap, and was basically the same thing as another phone model but with an extra piece of software that you had to pay a premium for (hint hint).

Surely music on that phone is ridiculous due to the memory. But what's so ridiculous about having music on your phone if it can handle it (memory, playback, as many songs as memory permits etc)?

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
driftingaway said:
If you want a V3x and you want a good deal, and you're anywhere near Uxbridge (end of Metropolitan line), i'll sort you out ;)
No iTunes phone though. If you read above it says there's only a few in stock, and they cost £8,000 or so each....
Nice, cheers :)

JMGvtec03

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2005
The CDMA razr is supposed to have all of this phones features except the Transflash and iTunes :( I dont care much for the iTunes on a phone (Even though it would a sweet interface) BUT the Transflash would be sweet...

-JMG-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.