Any browser sloooow after 2013-002 update. Why?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Racineur, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Racineur macrumors regular

Racineur

:confused:Hi, I'm so happy I found these forums. Maybe someone can help sort this problem out. It's my first time ever an Apple update gets me some serious drawback and I'm with Apple since 1982!!! This morning Tuesday June 11, I said yes to the Apple update 2013-02. Done without any hassle of course. Right after the update all of the browsers I used: Safari, Chrome and Firefox almost lost half of their speed. It took 65 seconds to load the CNN homepage, same to load the MacRumors register page. Plus the pages now pop up almost fully loaded when there was kind of a progression before. I give it to you: I'm on old stuff: white Intel iMac late 2006, Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I'm about to trade this oldie for a 27 iMac but I still want to know what happened and what there's to do to get back some speed. I have high speed Internet 20 mbps. Safari has been reset.
    Help and cues are very welcome.

2. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

First off, did you repair permissions immediately after the update?

3. Racineur thread starter macrumors regular

Racineur

Hi and thanks. I did later on and unfortunately it didn't do much. The browsers still take almost 2 1/2 to load pages. Again, I'm surprised to see them pop in my face after the 60+ seconds wait. Neither browsers behaved like that before the update. I'm near reinstalling the whole OS.

4. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Ok. How many times have you restarted after the update? If only once - do it again, and see if it sorts itself out.

5. Racineur thread starter macrumors regular

Racineur

This update f... up Snow Leopard

Hi again and thanks so much for helping. Yeah, tried that too. Maybe 5 reboots since the dreaded update. Seems the update really f... up my machine. Took 71 seconds (a record) just to get here and answer you. This time I'm using Chromium. Next weekend I'm gonna reinstall the system. I'm really mad at Apple who push his updates with big fanfare and I trust what they suggest to do. I guess the "pro" in Cupertino didn't bother to test the update on older machines. I'm starting to believe this update was "the one" my old Intel 2.0 couldn't handle. Since I have both Tiger and SL disks, I wonder if I won't even revert back to Tiger. Now I understand the machine you buy in 2007 should run on 2007 OS and runs the apps that came bundled with it. Disappointment. Disappointment. If someone has a better solution or can direct me somewhere...This update has made browsing the Web impossible in 2013. I won't go back to 56k modem waiting times. Remember it took between 1 an 2 minutes to load pages. My exact new time now!
    Thanks again OLDCODGER

6. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Sadly, it looks as if a reinstall is your only way out, although there is one last thing to try before going that route - try rebooting in safe mode and see if the problem persists. If it does, happy reinstalling. :)