Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kurtster

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Tokyo
Among the various bluetooth keyboards for the iPad, are there any that have an actual forward-delete key, in addition to the regular delete key?
I'm aware of the fn key workaround for the Apple BT keyboard, but would prefer an actual dedicated key.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
I wish strongly the same Del key

Among the various bluetooth keyboards for the iPad, are there any that have an actual forward-delete key, in addition to the regular delete key?
I'm aware of the fn key workaround for the Apple BT keyboard, but would prefer an actual dedicated key.

As you can see from this post of mine in a thread regarding the iOS, I also (as very many others) have a need for a Delete key that works so that the character(s) on the right side of the cursor will be deleted:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1313372/

This post: "Using an external BT keyboard for my iPad2 running iOS 5, is it possible to remap the "Delete" key, so that it not deletes text on the left side of the cursor (as a Backspace key) but rather deletes the text on the right side of the cursor?

When/If Office will be a program (aka "app") available for iPad such a remap will be even more urgent, as many of us writers use the ctrl+Del combination in Word to delete the word on the right side of the cursor.

Is there a remap program available now that can solve this annoying issue, or is there a combination of keys that can used to achieve this? The fn-Del combo is of course out of the question, as the external keyboard doesn't have the fn-key."

I use the ZAGGfolio keyboard, which is great both with regard to the keyboard [except that it only has the Apple kind of Backspace key (called Delete)] and also with regard to the good protective case and "laptop arrangement" it makes possible.

I think also the ClamCase keyboard has the same Apple Backspace function, but I am not 100 per cent sure, but I would be surprised if an Apple accessory has the regular PC Delete key function, unfortunately.

I think the problem and solution to this problem can be made in the iOS, or can it be solved by the keyboard manufacturer?

Last edited:

kurtster

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Tokyo
Thanks for the info on the ZAGGfolio and Clamcase keyboards. I read some favorable reviews of the former on Amazon.

Just now, I was poking around and found this no-name BT keyboard that's part of a leather case for the iPad. If you look closely, in addition to a "Back Space" key, there's also a key with an arrow just under it. Could this possibly be a forward-delete key??
20110113-ipodkeycase-03.jpg

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
A very interesting finding

Thanks for the info on the ZAGGfolio and Clamcase keyboards. I read some favorable reviews of the former on Amazon.

Just now, I was poking around and found this no-name BT keyboard that's part of a leather case for the iPad. If you look closely, in addition to a "Back Space" key, there's also a key with an arrow just under it. Could this possibly be a forward-delete key??

This finding of yours is very interesting, and perhaps of a promising kind. I would hope that it is possible to make such a keyboard for iOS 5 devices (foremost the iPad), or that one can remap a keyboard that doesn't have a regular PC Delete key.

So far, non has posted any answers to my post in the iOS 5 thread, but I hope this issue will be cleared up and hopefullly also fixed. (I would guess that there is no technological limitations that will make it difficult to find a solution, but matters of quite another kinds, if this problem will persist being a problem.)

First of all: Hope that you can find out something and share your findings!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.