Any buyer's remorse after downsizing MBP?...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SparkyCanada, Feb 9, 2008.

1. SparkyCanada macrumors member

Hi there.

I currently have a G4 17" MBP.

I'm now ready to upgrade to a speedier/newer rig - but am debating about which size.

I like the 17" format. But lately it seems like a lot of real estate to be schleping around.

Has anyone gone to the 15" and regretted it? Did ya miss the extra space?

I currently use the MBP 17" as my only computer...

Thanks for any advice.

SparkyCanada

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I went from a laptop (Dell) with the 17" HD's resolution (albeit in 15.4" size) to my 15" MBP. Not quite the same as you're asking, but, if it were me and I were already used to the 17", I'd strongly consider getting the 17" with the HD screen. I like the 15" (bought by work, so I can't complain but neither could I upgrade it), but I wish it had more pixels....

3. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

When I went from the 17" Powerbook to the 15" Macbook Pro- my buyers remorse was so bad that I ended up taking my Macbook Pro back and exchanging back up to the 17". Honestly the size is very similar and you'd be surprised how much nicer a 17" screen is when compared to a 15" display. Especially if you're using it as your only computer I would think twice before switching laptops.

4. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

Expanding on that post further- Some people consider the 15" Macbook Pro the "sweet spot" of laptops, however, I really don't think so. It's too big to be very portable and too small to be a true external display-less desktop replacement. I recently switched from my 17" Macbook Pro to an iMac and Macbook Air and will NEVER go back to anything larger then this- unless I needed to use just ONE computer. If that is the case, 17" all the way.

5. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I had no remorse switching, but it's only about an extra pound to get the 17", and you can get it in HD.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Since last year, I've had two 17" laptops, two 15" machines, one 12", and one 13". I first had a 15" that I sold when I got a 17". Then I found the 17" slightly underpowered, so I sold it and got a cd 15". Then I found the 15" too small and sold it for a c2d 17". Then I found that to be too big, and sold it for a 12". I then sold that for a 13", and that's the laptop I use today.

As someone, then, who's had his fair share of 17" and 15" machines, I'd say it's very possible you'll experience remorse after downsizing to the 15" from the 17"; I certainly did. If you truly want a greater portability without looking back, I'd skip the 15" altogether and go all the way down to 13"; I don't miss either of my 17" machines now, and I treasure the portability of my 13". Just something to keep in mind.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

In any event, the odds are very good that we'll see an MBP refresh within a month, so why not wait and see what's offered?

8. sturob macrumors regular

Some of it depends on what you'll be doing. A few years ago, I bought a 17" G4 PowerBook, and I loved it. But it was huge to schlep around, as you say. So when the Intel MBP came out, I bought a 15.4" one. It was great.

I just got an MBA, so I went even smaller, and I like it even better.

Just to be a dissenting opinion. It's really a great little laptop. And it's faster than either my 17" or 15.4" MBP (an older Core Duo).

Stuart

9. SparkyCanada thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for your insight.

I keep waffling as to which size.

This weekend when I was travelling - I wished I had a smaller laptop - but last night when I was doing some music editing - I enjoyed the real estate....

Maybe I should just get 2 :D

Decisions, decisions, decicions... :confused:

Thanks,

SparkyCanada

10. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

Now if I had the money i would have all 3 then could choose which one to use dependant on what I was doing or where I was going or even what mood I was in.

What has worked out best for me is the MB with an external monitor, that way I have the best of both worlds at home.

11. NEiMac macrumors regular

12. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I wanted a true Mac laptop so I went from a 17" Gateway Hackintosh (1680x1050) to a MBP (1440x900). The $$$ made me go with the $15 more than anything but the size and weight also factored in. Also, I use my laptop mainly at home and the main office. In both locations, I have large external monitors. When I am on the road, I don't really miss the extra 240 pixels horizontally but I do miss the 105 vertically.

13. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

I second this. Get the 15" because the 17" really is too big to be portable, and pair with a nice 20-22" monitor. They make some great and cheap ones now adays you would be saving money and even getting a bigger screen.

14. munckee macrumors 65816

That seems to be the sweetest setup right now. If i could swing a 24" iMac and an MBA, that would be my package of choice for the moment.

That said, I switched from a 15" Powerbook to a 13" MacBook and haven't regretted it much at all. The 13" is nice and portable and it runs my external fine when I'm home. Slightly different, but maybe helpful?

15. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

How about a MBA with external monitor? It can probably run a 24'' at a guess, and it has enough power for any non-hardcore app.

People still edit video on machines with half the power of the MBA

16. SparkyCanada thread starter macrumors member

I just got home from looking at the MacBook Pro's.

Realistically - the 15" somehow didn't seem as small as I thought it was. I was diggin' it...

I did inquire about an external monitor - but they were uncertain as to whether or not I could run an external monitor off the MBP - with the MBP lid closed and the screen off...

Also - they said they would take my MBP in on trade - but I would have to wait until tomorrow to find out what it's worth - since the dude who prices the trade ins was away this afternoon. Any ideas what I should expect to get for it...?

Just to make my life more interesting - I've started to think about upgrading my 867 G4 tower... but that's another thread...:D

Thanks,

SparkyCanada

17. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Yes you can. This is officially supported by Apple on MBP and PB. All you have to do is to plug in a keyboard, mouse, and monitor, and you can do everything with the MPB lid closed. (clamshell mode) You don't need to change any settings :)

I'm very surprised the Apple shop didn't know this. This is basic salesperson knowledge.

It's also possible with MB, and iBooks, but this is unsupported, and you need to download a third party (free) app to do this. You may get overheating cos of the plastic shell.

EDIT: the MB now seems to officially support clamshell mode, but only with the power cable plugged in, not when running on the battery.