Any buyer's remorse after purchasing your new MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cjohnson348, Mar 21, 2013.

1. cjohnson348 macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I'm a newbie. I currently have an iPhone 5 and iPad 2. I made the jump to Mac last night and got one of the refurbished 13 rMBP with 8gb RAM and 256 SSD for a little over $1400. I've never spent this much money on a device in my life! I'm freaking out over here and seriously reconsidering my purchase. I originally had my eye on the Air, but when I saw the rMBP deal I couldn't pass it up. I have the average consumer's computer needs (e-mailing, web surfing, streaming videos, >10gb of music). I do work from home occasionally via Citrix, and I am a SimCity fanatic. Very happy I have 14 days to decide if I really want this thing.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of buyer's remorse (especially as a first time Mac owner)?

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

If you have buyers remorse then cancel your purchase. Clearly it is too much for you to spend on a computer. For what you do, a Macbook Air would have been more than enough and/or go with a Windows Laptop. In 2011 I spent $2200 on my 15" Macbook Pro and have never questioned how much I spent on it. When the Haswell rMBP's come out I will upgrade to a 15" rMBP and expect to spend the same (possibly more). Then again I run my business off my laptop and can justify it because it will ultimately pay for itself.

Edit: The only buyers remorse I have had is that I bought a 2011 Macbook Air with only 4GB of RAM (4 was max in 2011) and that is not nearly enough for me. I was remorseful not because of what I spent on it, but that it became obsolete for my purposes so quickly. I can only use it now for internet/email/etc.

3. jjhoekstra macrumors regular

In your case I would send it back and go for an Air. With your computer needs it will be amazingly good.

4. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Once you have a retina screen, you will be ruined for everything else! Still using my 2007 BMB as well as my 2010 11"MBA.If you have it as long as I have had my BMB (5 years) comes to $1.30 a day, RELAX, sit down and enjoy it;)

5. maxosx macrumors 68020

By the tone of your post, I'd strongly advise you to get out of it.

You don't need that much computer anyway. The current 13" MacBook Air models are very nice. I have one. I also have a 15" MBP Retina.

Yes the retina display is nice... but it's _not_ the big deal that everyone makes it out to be.

When I switch between my 13" MBA and the MBPr, it's an easy transition. The Air is exceptional, well debugged and reliable it's definitely one of Apple's best laptops in a few years. Especially for your usage.

6. cjohnson348 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the feedback.

I think most of my anxiety is coming from not having it physically in my possession yet (delivery to my nearest Apple store is scheduled for the 29th). When researching what to buy I never looked into the rMBP because the configuration I wanted was way out of my price range (I wanted to spend less than 1300 bucks).

I looked into recycling my current laptop (15 inch Sony VAIO) through Apple's recycling program and the money I would receive puts me well within my budget!

I agree with your posts that I don't need as much computer as I'm getting, but after building the Air to match the RAM and SSD of the Pro I end up paying more money (although I am still in love with the form factor of the Air)

I'm going to be keep this thing for at least four years, so this does come down to a little under a dollar a day.

I also just went to my local Best Buy and put the Air and rMBP side-by-side. That screen is to die for. :D

Now I'm more anxious than ever for it to come in. I hope it comes in before the 29th (and I hope I don't end up with a LG screen *fingers crossed*).

Thanks again for your advice! I really appreciate hearing your opinions.

7. AppleDeviceUser macrumors 6502

AppleDeviceUser

I am 16 and recently bought a $3500 rMBP (Really upgraded.) I have no buyers remorse whatsoever, it's a great little machine and it is extremely fast, especially with 2.6GZ Quad core i7, 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM! I hope you enjoy your Mac!

----------

The air is great for web browsing, light editing, email, music, etc.
    I would get an air just so I don't have to risk bringing my (almost) fully upgraded 15" rMBP out everywhere.

What do you mean by debugged? That is a software term and last time I checked all Macs run OSX 10.8.3. Not being rude just wondering. Oh and yeah, retina is a big deal when you are video or photo editing.

8. maxosx macrumors 68020

I used debug in the context of the entire computer, and the words primary definition (see below). Meaning both the hardware & software work together very well. If you do the research the Retina models are far from well debugged. There's quite a few faults in these first generation MBPr's. the next gen will be much better.

Retina is a personal opinion. What do you think photo, graphic design & art professionals in medium to large scale international businesses have been using for decades. Not retina.

de·bug [dee-buhg]
    verb (used with object), de·bugged, de·bug·ging. Informal.
    1. to detect and remove defects or errors from.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Debugged?s=t

9. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

work first - talk later.

10. cramazing macrumors 6502

;)

11. cjohnson348 thread starter macrumors newbie

Now that I think about it, when I bought my iPad 2 I had the same buyer's remorse. Now I can't imagine my life without out. Apple has got a hold on my purse strings haha

Expressing my remorse to my coworker, she immediately started laughing at me. I'm a recent grad, youngest one in my office, still living at home with absolutely no bills. She told me to buy all the cool things while I still don't have any financial responsibilities. I think she has a good point. These good times won't last forever. :cool:

12. cjohnson348 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hit the refurb lottery

Okay, guys. Picked up my rMBP and now I am more than thrilled with my purchase.

I ordered a 2.4 i5 and hit the refurb lottery with 2.9 i7!!!!!:D

13. AppleDeviceUser macrumors 6502

AppleDeviceUser

What do you mean? I did work for my MacBook! Just because I make more money working is not my fault!

----------

Ok I see, you made your point, however the Retina MacBook Pro works wonderfully and I haven't encountered any issues so far. I am sorry I spoke without doing my research (No sarcasm.) Yeah I know they haven't been using retina but everything gets better, so the better the cameras the better the screens.

----------

Congrats!! I hope you enjoy your Mac as much as I enjoy mine!