Any canadians order from the u.s? Considering a 17 if I save hst

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 8000rpm, Feb 25, 2011.

1. 8000rpm macrumors regular

Well I'm not happy about the changes in this refresh but admittedly I still like the unibody and osx. The only way I'll be getting one is if I can buy from the u.s. With a cc and ship it to the u.s. So I can drive over and get it.

Any Canadians have experience with purchasing down south? My other option is an alienware m17x r3 which blows it through the roof specs wise but it's like a briefcase in comparison. I don't mind spending some more cash for the mbp BUT I'm not dropping over $1k difference with hst.

2. ekcivichb macrumors newbie

so you're buying a $2300+ laptop and you would rather do through the hassel of ordering over a US site and then DRIVING over the border to pick it up (with gas at an all time high) and wasting half a day instead of paying 13% HST and just walking to your local apple store or bestbuy....

smart man. lol

3. 8000rpm thread starter macrumors regular

With the config I want it will be about $350 savings. 30 minute drive to save $350 you are a Morton if you think that isn't smart.

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

HST on a $2500 machine is $325... that's not insignificant.

5. strang macrumors member

I made a spreadsheet that tracks price differences between Canada and US. But I didn't count sales taxes in as in the US every state is different.

http://db.tt/i5FguVT

I update this file every time Apple releases a new lineup. Usually within a few hours of announcement.

Buying from US is easy peasy. Just drive down to an Apple Store, give them the credit card and off you go. I would recommend you be familiar with the sales taxes in the state you want to do shopping in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States

Most mobile devices' warranties are worldwide. Even if they're not, I have yet to hear about denied warranty inquiries at local Genius Bars.

Word of advice though, the difference in prices are not as great as years in the past. You'll see in my latest update that on average you save about C$50 by buying in the US. So pending how much sales tax you pay, it may not actually be worth while. Also remember most credit card issuers charge 2.5% exchange penalty when you're purchasing in foreign currency. Exchange rate is usually as of the closing value on the day you purchase, not the moment you purchase.

6. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

I hear ya on that! I drove 45 min (well only 15 min further than the apple store in the other direction) to save $150 on tax... yay for delaware!

7. laser71 macrumors regular

You still legally have to declare it and pay HST when bringing it across.

If you don't, you risk getting caught, and getting in serious trouble. Same thing happened to a friend when buying camera gear - not worth it.

8. strang macrumors member

My experiences with the Canadian Borders have been "Welcome home" every time. And I'm of an ethnic minority that's considered by many to be "cheap" by nature, and most likely to do something like this.

They're absolutely right, I totally take advantage of the lower US retail prices every chance I get.

FFS, take it out of the box and ditch the packaging. It's just a box, boot the machine make sure it's fine and hide your receipt deep in your luggage.

You are breaking the law. But how many laws do you think you break on a daily basis? Ever jaywalked?

9. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

Just open the box before bringing it across, and you will not pay anything!
    You will show that you are not going to re-sale it.

You can also tell them that you have bought it five years ago, at a 100$ price, from an insane man. :D

10. 8000rpm thread starter macrumors regular

I've been doing it for years just never with apple. My last machine I saved over $700. Packed the box mailed it to my house because I like to keep everything. Installed all my stuff with a flash drive and stuck it in my old lappy bag.

Declare. Lol.

11. laser71 macrumors regular

Glad my full tax dollars are subsidizing your healthcare, roads and schools.

I don't like paying taxes either, but I really don't like people who cheat the system and leave the burden on the rest of us.

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

You'll still have to pay import fees which are around 15% if I recall correctly.

13. 8000rpm thread starter macrumors regular

I don't feel bad because I make so much I'm taxed more than most peoples salaries.

14. snaky69 macrumors 603

Which would mean you are a cheap bastard, if you want to save a mere 300 bucks by committing fraud.

15. laser71 macrumors regular

So you have the money to pay tax, you're just too cheap? What, is the student who works at McDonalds more deserving to be paying full sales tax?

16. strang macrumors member

You're telling me that if you had the chance to save a significant amount of money you won't do it?

Really?

Why do you think accountants exist as an occupation?

17. laser71 macrumors regular

Save money? Of course.
    Commit tax evasion? No

I'm a business owner who also see's a significant amount of my income (50%) go to tax. And as much as I would love to have more money for myself, I believe in the fundamental purpose of tax. It's easy to complain, but how do you think roads are paved, schools are built, hospitals are run, etc? And it's for that reason that I would never steal from the country, even though there are many opportunities if I wanted to be greasy.

By the way, I can assure you that as a whole accountant's aren't saving anyone money.

18. snaky69 macrumors 603

Well said.

19. 8000rpm thread starter macrumors regular

You my friend need to have your grandma sew you a bat suit and then stop crime yourself. Our entire government is a fraud. So go be a hero about it whining on an apple forum at some people who want to save a little money.

20. ekcivichb macrumors newbie

sure you do kid.

you are willing to go through everything to save $300, yet make more than everyone...

you're a fool. idiot.

21. 8000rpm thread starter macrumors regular

Who's the kid? I may have money I just don't like to waste it. I'm close to the border which is why I choose to do what I do. Last year when I got my f430 I spent almost $10k on my hre wheels. Do you think I would waste 1500 dollars on tax alone... And then duty on top of it? Not a chance. I typed up a receipt using word saying I bought these on ny craigslist used for $500, fudged a signature and drove back over paying nothing at the border because the official was more interested in my ping irons and waved me through. Have an iPhone ? Pm me your number I'll show you what money is.