Any Carriers Activate on a locked AT&T iPhone?

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I recently switched over to Consumer Cellular and was able to activate my iP5 without a hitch. It's unlocked though so I didn't anticipate any issues.

Yesterday I popped the SIM card (using an adapter) into a locked AT&T SIM locked iPhone 4S and was pleasantly surprised to see I received service.

Are there any other carriers that work on a locked iPhone?

blarivee

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
US
That is because Consumer Cellular is a MVNO that runs on AT&T network. So you can interchange the SIMs and AT&T locked devices between any MVNO that runs on AT&T networks.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Not all ATT MVNO's work like that. Straight talk, which is owned by ATT requires all iphone to be unlocked to work with their sim card.

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
Not all ATT MVNO's work like that. Straight talk, which is owned by ATT requires all iphone to be unlocked to work with their sim card.
Straight Talk is owned by TracFone.

They are an MVNO of all the major carriers. AT&T iPhones don't need to be unlocked if using an ST AT&T MVNO SIM.

Last edited:

RobertoG

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2013
StraightTalk gives you the option to ride on the att network or the tmobile network, depending on what sim you buy from them.
I would assume that an AT&T iPhone would work with the AT&T-stt sim

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
If ST demands that you have an unlock phone, am thinking that's because they want you to be flexible on which carrier they end up partnering you with. ST is in bed with multiple carriers. Call me cynic.

ParishM

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.

ST does not require an unlocked iPhone to use their
service ! all you need is their at&t compatible SIM.
i've used locked at&t 4/4s/5 with ST with zero problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.