Any Celestia users here? Can you check for this problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mark Cartagine, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Mark Cartagine macrumors newbie

Hello all,

We recently purchased a new early '08 mac pro with the HD2600 video card. All software is updated, there's some 6gB of RAM, and everything seems to work well, except Celestia.

I'm running Version 1.41, and I keep getting minor "glitches." Sometimes there will be a little flash in the background, or what look like texture tears. It's hard to describe, but something just ain't right.

No other software is displaying this problem. Normally, I wouldn't much care, but quality is critical in this case, as Celestia is being projected before a large audience, so it has to look right.

Could anyone who's got a similar machine to ours check to see if it happens in 1.41 (1.50 has some bugs, so we've stayed with 1.41).

Thanks!

You can find celestia at: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=21302

it's a great program, by the way!

Mark

2. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Something similar sounding here. The occasional flashed line.
    It's typically what you'd expect from a graphics driver "issue".
    To get an idea of the sort of issues one can expect from a gfx
    driver, have a look at this page:

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_712_release_notes.html

Those notes refer to Windows, of course, but I'm sure OS X is
    not immune from these things :)

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

He's running 1.4.1. ;)

I downloaded Celestia a few days ago and tried it out, I also have the HD2600 XT. I wasn't able to reproduce your issue though. Might be a driver issue like the other guy said.

4. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Eek! Ok, I quickly deleted my silly comment. If you delete
    yours, all evidence of my word blindness will be destroyed ;)

5. Mark Cartagine thread starter macrumors newbie

Mackilroy,

Just curious - which OS version are you using? Because it strikes me that if we have identical vid cards, then the difference must be in the software we're running.

Thanks!