Any chance a refresh will include option for AMD 6630M on 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZZ Bottom, Sep 22, 2011.

1. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

I know it's all speculation about whether we will see a refresh late this year, but from those that are familiar with how much space the AMD Radeon HD 6630M takes up in the Mac Mini, would it be possible to fit this GPU in the 13" as a custom option or higher end model config?

EDIT: Sorry for the redundancy, I posted this in haste before searching and can't delete the thread myself.

2. coldmack macrumors 6502

Well Sony's 13in S series comes with an AMD gpu standard and that suppose to about the same thinness as the MBP, so I don't see why Apple can't do the same(plus give the consumers a matte display option and a different cpu).

3. Risasi macrumors 6502

Probably possible? I think so. Will it happen? I think not.

Honestly I don't think it needs it anyway. The only thing I wish they had done was offer a dedicated GPU on the 2nd Tier 13" MBP. But the HD 3000 is definitely more robust than I expected.
    I'm happy w/ mine. Last spring I think they went with the HD 3000 because it let them save on cost and price it at a budget point close to the soon to be retired Macbook. $1200 macbook with this kind of horsepower? Pretty amazing.

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Possible?? Yes. Probable??? The magic eight ball says "I wouldn't count on it!" With the dedicated card and other available options it becomes more like a heavy version of the air, and every different size has something distinct t make it more attractive than the prior size below. If you give it all of the features of the air (matte screen and better resolution) then it becomes more attractive at its price point and the only thing driving the airs would be the ultraportability.

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I wouldn't be shocked if this happened, because I was surprised when the mini got a dedicated graphics card. It might show Apple is getting more serious about graphics, and it might be moving to offering discrete cards in its "Pro" machines.

:confused: This literally makes no sense. Giving it discrete graphics, which the Air does not have, would make the MBP more like the Air? If anything, I can see Apple putting discrete graphics in the Pro to differentiate it from the Air.

6. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

Judging from the size of the 13" MBP logic board, I don't think there's room for a dedicated GPU + RAM.

Now, if the next 13" MBP loses the optical drive, then I might start getting my hopes up.