Any chance Apple will replace 3GS iPhone cracked screen for free? UPDATE: YES!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleFan360, Jul 7, 2010.

1. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

My daughter decided to drop her phone cracking the screen pretty bad. It has Applecare on it. She is taking it to the Apple store tomorrow.

I realize that she will probably have to pay $199 to get it fixed but has anyone here had a cracked screen replaced for free? I'm kind of hoping that Apple will be nice to her tomorrow. :)

Thanks.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

nope as it's not a hardware defect but one cause by the user

Applecare only covers manufacturer's defects

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Applecare covers defects, not owner negligence.

4. svnty6rs3 macrumors newbie

i had a cracked screen and when i took it in they said 199 to fix it. So i went home and bought a replacement screen on amazon for 15 dollars. The replacement is really easy there are plenty of videos on youtube on how to do it. I would suggest that method as 199 is way to much to spend. You can also send it out to get fixed for about 70 dollars from some places that offer repairs online.

5. army91c macrumors 6502a

So easy to do.... that's why you see post after post of people breaking one of their ribbon wires and end up having to pay the $199 anyway.
    You get a "new" phone when you swap so just pay the money, buy a go phone and don't let your daughter have it until she learns to be more careful with her stuff.

6. ktex1968 macrumors member

I dropped my 3GS on the cart path while playing golf and it had a single crack that went from the top of the screen to the bottom. I was about to use a local service that fixes screens for $100 when I figured I'd drop by the Apple store just for the helluva it. The Genius there said that because it was only a single crack and not spidered they would cover it. They gave me a brand new replacement. I don't know why the single crack made a difference and I didn't want to ask.

7. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

Lucky SOB:D

8. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Sure there's a chance. The same chance as a snowball not melting in hell. :D

9. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

You can try Mobile Madness, great company, I've used them myself.

Their local to me, but if you call, I think they also do repair-by-mail for you.

10. svnty6rs3 macrumors newbie

As long as you follow the video step for step its pretty simple you just have to be careful. It cant hurt to try especially when it means you could be saving 180 dollars

11. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I went with my friend today to the apple store. He dropped his 8GB 3G and went to the genius. We were really polite to him and explained it was an accident. He then said he'd "hook us up" and went to the back and replaced his screen for free!

edit: BTW his screen was BAD. cracked and webbed throughout!

12. bamafever09 macrumors regular

bamafever09

sure its possible. i went in the other day and was polite fully intent on paying 199 for my water damaged phone. I didn't try to fool him i told him it was my fault i dropped it in water and i just needed to pay and get on my way. He went in the back came out and gave me a replacement for free. Guess it depends on the genius haha. This guy rocked

13. AppleFan360 thread starter macrumors 68020

As a follow up, my daughter took her broken phone to the Apple store today. She was nice and polite and told the truth about what happened. They replaced her phone at no charge.

14. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

15. AppleFan360 thread starter macrumors 68020

One other note. My daughter told them that the phone dropped about 3 feet. The Genius said that the phone is not supposed to break at 3 feet or below. That is the reason why it was replaced for free.

Honesty does pay off.

16. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Same thing happened to me a couple years ago with my year-old 1st gen.

I was amazed.

:)

17. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

maybe Apple is trying to get rid of it's remaning stock of 3G's and 3GS'

18. melman101 macrumors 68030

I wonder if anyone in NYC has any luck with these.

All the time I know people trying to go in for **** like this and they get denied. Weird.

19. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I will vouch, the ribbon cables are incredibly easy to break (I broke one on my 3G).

But army91c, accidents do happen. You can't tell me that you haven't ever broken something before.

20. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I think with a single clean crack, it might or might not be an impact, it could be a weak piece of glass with a flaw in it that breaks easier than it should, so they often play it safe and be nice.

With a spiderweb crack, its clearly impact damage, no question.

21. AppleFan360 thread starter macrumors 68020

In this case, it was a bad spiderweb crack. The genius actually tried to replace the screen but couldn't, so he gave her a new (probably refurbished) phone.

22. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Well, in your case I guess they were just plain feeling friendly and glad for honesty, then and lucky. I was thinking of the golf cart case above though, where it was quoted as a single crack.