Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silverstring

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Wondering if, along with the rest of the s variant camera upgrades, Apple has found a way to bring optical image stabilization to both models, rather than reserving it for the 6 plus only.

Thought some of the "leaked" specs might mention OIS, but I haven't seen it mentioned it all, for EITHER model (if you have a link, please share).

Perhaps Apple thinks it an important differentiator, but then again, they don't seem to emphasize it much. I'm hoping that the (seeming) lack of mention in recent rumors is an indicator that both will have it...I know we don't have (and can't get) "confirmation" before the event, but what do others think will happen? Will both cameras be specced equally? If they aren't, will OIS push you to get a +?

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I think there's a very good chance. Almost all flagships come with it, so it would be embarrassing if the iPhone didn't, more so since the "S" upgrades are all about the cameras. Also, they can't play the thickness card because the 6s will be as thick as a 6+.

JustMadeThisNameUp

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2015
Wondering if, along with the rest of the s variant camera upgrades, Apple has found a way to bring optical image stabilization to both models, rather than reserving it for the 6 plus only.

Thought some of the "leaked" specs might mention OIS, but I haven't seen it mentioned it all, for EITHER model (if you have a link, please share).

Perhaps Apple thinks it an important differentiator, but then again, they don't seem to emphasize it much. I'm hoping that the (seeming) lack of mention in recent rumors is an indicator that both will have it...I know we don't have (and can't get) "confirmation" before the event, but what do others think will happen? Will both cameras be specced equally? If they aren't, will OIS push you to get a +?

It's possible but if they do they'd have to come up with another trait for the 6S Plus to stand apart from the 6S.

JustMadeThisNameUp

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2015
I think there's a very good chance. Almost all flagships come with it, so it would be embarrassing if the iPhone didn't, more so since the "S" upgrades are all about the cameras. Also, they can't play the thickness card because the 6s will be as thick as a 6+.

It's not just a thickness issue, it's a space issue over all. Actually because of the thinness they have to worry about other space which the 6 just didn't have as much.

Now that's not to say they couldn't have put it in there if they wanted to, but there's always a quality issue as to why too.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It's possible but if they do they'd have to come up with another trait for the 6S Plus to stand apart from the 6S.

The plus doesn't need anything other than screen size to "stand apart" from the non plus. Not sure why everyone has this need for having something on the plus only. It's the same phone in two sizes, screen size alone should be the only difference.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England

Hope so, I'm getting the 6s regardless, the 6s Plus is too big for me. It's going to be 0.2mm thicker so that might be enough to allow them to add OIS to the non-plus model. Not long now!

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
The plus doesn't need anything other than screen size to "stand apart" from the non plus. Not sure why everyone has this need for having something on the plus only. It's the same phone in two sizes, screen size alone should be the only difference.

And this should be true for the iPad as well. You pick the screen size you like and you should have exactly the same features.
I'm not sure if they could put OIS on the 6S since there isn't much room left for anything, but I hope they'll be able to add it to the 4.7'' this time.

Reactions: 5105973

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

I think Apple makes these choices, even if some think it is unfair.

It is all marketing and NO ONE does it better.

JustMadeThisNameUp

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2015
So they disagree purely because the plus had room to fit OIS? The only ones saying the plus needs a stand out feature from the non plus are people, not Apple. And why? Because they just want more and to feel special for having the plus.

Apple needed to give people a reason to get the iPhone 6 Plus who weren't won over by the screen size (a negative by many) or the screen resolution (a non-issue by many).

bigmikeyp

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2006
Manchester, UK
I've been keeping my eye out for whispers of this too; my gut feeling is that OIS will find its way into the 6s, after having another year the component/s to be refined further.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Apple needed to give people a reason to get the iPhone 6 Plus who weren't won over by the screen size (a negative by many) or the screen resolution (a non-issue by many).

If the screen size is a negative to someone then obviously they aren't the target audience for it. The whole purpose of the plus is the bigger screen. No more, no less.

"Apple needing to give reasons for people to buy it" is nothing but made up by people on the forums. It's not an iPhone Pro, it doesn't need extra features. It's an iPhone Plus, which means bigger. Hence the larger screen.

Someone shopping for plus size clothing doesn't turn down a new shirt saying "hmmm, I would buy this if it had a third sleeve and extra pockets. So and so needs to put extra stuff on my shirts so I have a reason to buy it!"

Reactions: Samuel Sung

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
If the screen size is a negative to someone then obviously they aren't the target audience for it. The whole purpose of the plus is the bigger screen. No more, no less.

"Apple needing to give reasons for people to buy it" is nothing but made up by people on the forums. It's not an iPhone Pro, it doesn't need extra features. It's an iPhone Plus, which means bigger. Hence the larger screen.

Someone shopping for plus size clothing doesn't turn down a new shirt saying "hmmm, I would buy this if it had a third sleeve and extra pockets. So and so needs to put extra stuff on my shirts so I have a reason to buy it!"
You forget that plus can also mean that it has extras. To use your shirt example, somebody might want a shirt that also has a pocket on it. Not a necessity for a shirt, but is an added extra for that segment of the market.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
So they disagree purely because the plus had room to fit OIS? The only ones saying the plus needs a stand out feature from the non plus are people, not Apple. And why? Because they just want more and to feel special for having the plus.

It's not just a difference in display size and the inclusion of OIS but also a higher resolution, land scape mode and better battery life.

Allin44

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2014
Acting like the term "Plus" is indicative of purely size and cannot refer to more features makes no sense.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It's not just a difference in display size and the inclusion of OIS but also a higher resolution, land scape mode and better battery life.

Those are all byproducts of having a larger screen in the device. The whole purpose of the iPhone 6 Plus was to get into the phablet market. Which is a larger screen. More features and stand out features doesn't make a regular phone a phablet, the screen size does. If apple wanted it to be a more feature rich device they would have named it the iPhone 6 Pro, just like everything else they put the Pro tag on.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Those are all byproducts of having a larger screen in the device. The whole purpose of the iPhone 6 Plus was to get into the phablet market. Which is a larger screen. More features and stand out features doesn't make a regular phone a phablet, the screen size does. If apple wanted it to be a more feature rich device they would have named it the iPhone 6 Pro, just like everything else they put the Pro tag on.

I have to disagree. I'm sure it's technically possible to have those features in a phone the size of the 6. Besides display size does not need to be the only differentiating feature. At the end of the day Apple is the manufacturer and it's down to them what features they include in the various models. If you as the consumer don't like it then vote with your wallet and don't buy it.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have to disagree. I'm sure it's technically possible to have those features in a phone the size of the 6. Besides display size does not need to be the only differentiating feature. At the end of the day Apple is the manufacturer and it's down to them what features they include in the various models. If you as the consumer don't like it then vote with your wallet and don't buy it.

People are either in the market for a regular size phone or a phablet. Phablet doesn't mean it needs to have standout features over a regular size phone. It means the phone is bigger, nothing more. Display size IS the only differentiating feature between a regular phone and a phablet. Not sure how many times it needs to be said.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
People are either in the market for a regular size phone or a phablet. Phablet doesn't mean it needs to have standout features over a regular size phone. It means the phone is bigger, nothing more. Display size IS the only differentiating feature between a regular phone and a phablet. Not sure how many times it needs to be said.

You can say it as many times as you want. That doesn't take away from the fact it's just your opinion and nothing more. It's not my opinion and I don't agree with you and obviously neither does Apple. If they don't offer what you want then it's simple, just don't buy it.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You can say it as many times as you want. That doesn't take away from the fact it's just your opinion and nothing more. It's not my opinion and I don't agree with you and obviously neither does Apple. If they don't offer what you want then it's simple, just don't buy it.

I'm not even talking about me wanting it or not.

The thread asked if the non s would get OIS, and people keep claiming if it does then the plus needs to add another feature to stand out. I'm talking about people who have an obsession for the plus to have extras and standout features vs the non s. It simply doesn't need to.

It's purpose was to get into the phablet market. Not to offer a more expensive phone with more goodies to get people to spend more. (That's not an opinion, that's fact)

More expensive options with more goodies in Apple's world gets the Pro tag, and always has. The Plus tag on the iPhone means bigger (phablet)

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Camera's OIS, bigger battery, screen resolution, form factor. There's not just the one reason for the Plus.

Sigh...

Bigger battery: Of course it has a bigger battery. It's a larger phone and uses more power.

Screen Resolution: It would look pretty bad if it had the same lower res on the much larger screen.

Form Factor: Duh, it's a phablet and meant to be larger.

OIS: Larger shell = room for the lens to move around to counter camera shake.

All your "reasons" are 100% byproducts of having the phablet option. If the non Plus got OIS, it does not mean the Plus needs to get a new Plus only hardware feature like your first post claims.

The "trait" is that it's larger and a phablet that splits them apart. The other stuff is bonus because of its size.

It's not hard to understand.

Reactions: TsuaSai and Bbqthis
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.