Any chance for G5 support for Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by huntercr, May 23, 2009.

1. huntercr macrumors 65816

I know it's been said many times that it was likely Leopard was the end of the road for G5s, but as we get closer to release, has there been any chance or sign that this is true or not?

I'm kind of hoping and praying... I've got a Dual G5 1.8GHz with 7GB of memory, and I was recently thinking of upgrading my video card, but really there's no point in upgrading if Snow Leopard won't support me.
    ( Yes I know I'm old, but with 7GB of memory this sucker really does well on Leopard, so I'm not ready to move on just yet! )

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Something could always change, but I wouldn't hold your breath. If it's any consolation, if there is any support at all for PPC, your machine SHOULD be able to run it.

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Hah, I got a Dual 1.8Ghz with 3GB DDR memory, and THIS sucker does well.

I'm sure it's amazing with 7GB (Also, why don't you upgrade more memory? or can ours only support 8GB?)

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

No chance. There has not been a single PPC beta build of 10.6 Snow Leopard released. If PPC support was included, developers would need to test their UB's with the new OS.

I would expect you'll hear the official announcement at WWDC.

5. huntercr thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, it only supports 8GB. I really didn't bother with 8 because I had the existing pair of 512MB which was fine, and I don't want to spend "real" money upgrading the system if I won't be able to use it much longer. I know that Leopard will still get some love after Snow leopard comes out, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm guessing iLife will no longer be a universal binary after this as well.

I might still upgrade the video card if I can find one cheap on ebay. Supposedly the highest officially supported card is the NVIDIA 6800GT. I've just got an FX5200.

At work I have a much better but equally doomed system... a "dual core" 2GHz G5 with DDR2 and PCI Express.

I would love to upgrade it as well, but I'll have to wait and see if there's even a glimmer of hope here.... sadly looks like there isn't.

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

It seems the Finder.app in newest build 10a354 is x86 only.... (32 bits and 64 bits).
    So, it looks like PPC will definitely be dropped.

7. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Though it is almost 100% certain that support for G4s will be dropped, I'd really like to run it on my 733 MHz PM. If it did support G4s, I'd upgrade the graphics card. I wonder how that would compare to my 2 GHz mini?

8. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I believe that Leopard will be the last Mac OS to support both the Intel and PPC platforms.

As I understand, Snow Leopard will be Intel only.

Guess we'll know for sure after the WWDC.

10. MacLasse macrumors newbie

No G5 support in Snow Leopard

Now we know for sure... Snow Leopard will not support G5 PPC. This is a shame since my Dual 2Ghz G5 works very well. I can't help but feel disappointed in Apple that they let this professional product become obsolete so easily even though it is still officially supported.

11. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

A Dual 2Ghz G5 is far from obsolete. It's in its "golden years" but it could easily hold until 10.7 comes in 2011 (my guess)

12. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Although it's probably pretty clear at this point 10.6 is Intel only, FYI, early builds of SL did work on PPC.

13. Matek macrumors 6502a

This doesn't mean you can't use modern operating systems. Soon after Snow Leopard, Ubuntu 9.10 will be coming out and it will definitely be available in PPC flavour.

14. TheGraphicMac macrumors member

It's not supported on a PPC machine because there's nothing in SnowLeopard to improve upon Leopard on a PPC machine. Why are you disappointed in something that would have absolutely no value to you whatsoever? I mean, if they made it work on a PPC Mac, you would be paying for an update simply to have a different number show up in your About This Mac screen.

15. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Eventually, the new OS is the only one to get updates and new software. You don't see Panther getting new software, do you?

16. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Any PowerMac G5 or dual processor G4 can benefit from Grand Central. Plus all of the UI improvements, system wide speed improvements etc. Just saying, that's all.