Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

opeepingtomo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Just wondering. Ive been ready to make the switch from an entire life of Windows to a Mac. I am an IS major and have worked in the IT Department for my government since highschool. I havent had really any experience with Macs other than early on in elemetary school and then once again at work in moving some users from Macs to Windows based clients for compliance with our network.

Like i said ive been on the verge of buying a Mac but i cant decide between a MacBook and an iMac.

The problem is I am in school and its a also a 4hr drive when i go home and visit family, so the mobility of the Macbook would be great. However ive always been one to like high resolutions. I wouldnt want a Macbook pro, because i like the size of the Macbook, but with only a 1280 x 800 screen resolution i wouldnt be able to fit much on it.

Then we have the iMac. I like the iMac but you do lose the portability of the Macbook. However if i do go ahead and get an iMac at least you gain a higher resolution screen, etc.

So basicly before i make the jump and purchase my new Mac, is there any chance of a new LCC for the MB's that will have a higher resolution?

opeepingtomo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
why not buy the macbook and get an external display?

I dunno, was never big on that, more cords, another keyboard, etc. What would be the perfect solution would be a 13" macbook with even just a bit higher res, the last notebook i owned was 1280x800 and i always felt like i couldnt see anything, especially photos, or trying to fit 2 programs on the same screen to work between them at the same time, which wont be as big of a deal in leopard with spaces but still.

was just asking incase someone maybe knew something.

valiechemicalie

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
you are saying the macbookpro is to big but the Imac is an option?

The Imac is bigger than a macbook pro and about 4 to 5 times as heavy

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
yeah...

Macbook and a 20 inch display.

You get the ease of portability with the benefits of a larger, higher resolution screen.

"dealing" with an external keyboard and mouse shouldn't be a problem, because you obviously won't travel with those.

My gf has that setup (except she has a 23" screen) and it works like a charm.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I have yet to see any 13.3" screens that do better than 1280*800 resolution, so unless they switch to a 14" screen, i don't think that we will see higher resolutions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.