Any chance iPhone 7 has USB-C vs Lightning?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shr631, Jun 8, 2016.

1. shr631 macrumors member

Not sure if this has been suggested/refuted (by Ming-Chi Kuo or whomever), but any chance the ip7 will have USB-C rather than a lightning port? The plus may have smart connector so perhaps Apple is looking to add diverse connectivity capabilities....?

2. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

USB has never been a thing in any iPhone, so I don't see that changing. They'd rather sell proprietary cables and adapters.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I'm a believer that there is always a chance for everything, particularly until The manufacturer announces and then releases said product. I do think odds are against us on this one.

I have no plans on buying the next iPhone. But if they give us USB c I will upgrade at least one of our family devices in principle. Moving away from proprietary to a global standard is a wonderful leap in the right direction and deserves my support.

4. iPhisch macrumors 6502

I honsestly do not like Lightning. It's cool how much smaller it is than 30-pin but the tips get corroded and I've replaced every cable that has come with an iDevice I've purchased. The leads need to be covered. Like a plastic sheath that slides back into the Lightning housing when you plug it in.
    USB-C would be great, but I'd bet against it happening.

5. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Have nothing against the lightning setup. I have never had a cable go bad and is much better than the connector they used to use. I am sure USB-C will show up one day, hope it will prevent Apple from making our phones thinner!

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If they really want to drop the headphone jack they need to go to USB C so they are on a standard that other people use.

8. tann macrumors 68000

no chance because it makes too much sense to!

If they were actually going to move I wouldn't expect it until the 2017 redesign.

9. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Almost no one is using USB-C currently. It's hardly a "standard". And USB-C audio is a long way from becoming mainstream. The reality is that whether it's USB-C or Lightning, adapters will be a necessity for the next 10 years to ensure compatibility with all current audio products, equipment and devices, so USB-C or Lightning is likely moot. Apple users on the other hand will likely enjoy complete compatibility across all new Apple products going forward, as Lightning will be added to Macs.

And by the time that USB-C is widespread enough to actually qualify as a "standard", Apple will most likely be dropping ports entirely from their mobile products going with perfected wireless charging, wireless audio, and wireless data transfer.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if USB-C never becomes a standard, because it is replaced by something newer, smaller, more durable, more efficient, and safer. Meanwhile, Apple customers who have amassed a whole new collection of Ligthing cables and accessories in the last 4 years, since they had to replace their 10 years worth of 30-pin dock cables and accessories, will not have to shell out even more to update everything all over again to USB-C.

There's no question in my mind that Apple won't be replacing Lightning any time soon, especially after doubling down on the Pencil, TV remote, and Mac desktop peripherals.

10. chasonstone macrumors regular

chasonstone

I'm not saying Apple will go with USB-C, but they really should. If they went USB-C along with other phone manufacturers we would essentially gain a new headphone standard way more quickly. If they choose to use lightning and everyone else goes USB-C, we'll just no longer have a standard and it'll be Apple's fault. I'll be pretty annoyed with them if they make us buy into lightning headphones, then I have to buy an adapter to use it with 3.5mm jacks, and a whole other adapter to use with other electronics that have pushed single USB-C ports. A new wired standard could happen if they would just do it. To be honest though, I think they're likely trying to push wireless. I think the removal of the headphone jack paints a clear picture of where they see the phone in the future. I think in a few years there could be no port on the phone at all. Having to utilize wireless headphones, and wireless charging. I think this could work for Apple if they make real wireless charging. Say a small adapter you plug into the wall and it'll let your phone charge within a 15 foot radius. I think we need to stop thinking lightning or USB-C is going to be the new standard for headphones, because I think it's pretty clear Apple is pushing a wireless world.

Also, I just really don't see them putting a lightning port on Macs. They already have a USB-C on the MacBook and if anything I would think that's signalling a push towards wireless as well. The single USB-C port could be a stepping stone for the next decade until they have their wireless charging perfected and then likewise for already in place lightning on mobile devices.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not going to happen.
    It will have a lightning plug.

12. cynics macrumors G4

Unlikely. Licensing fees on their proprietary connection makes them too much money to just toss out.

That would be one of the driving forces behind getting rid of the 3.5mm headphone jack. It would force you to use the Lightning port if you want/need a wired setup which means the manufacturer you bought that product from paid Apple.

13. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Almost no one? Nearly all 2016 Android flagships have and are coming with USB C now. The MacBook and Chromebook Pixel also have it for charging, along with some newer tablets. Most higher end desktop motherboards have USB C as well.

Just because USB C is new, doesn't mean it's "hardly a standard", it is a standard, and is rapidly becoming more common.

Wouldn't it be nice if headphone manufactures made headphones that worked on iOS devices, Androids, and laptops? Having a Lightning connector means if you ever want to use those headphone on a laptop or Android phone, it would either not work or you'd need another adapter.

14. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Next galaxy note seems will have USB type C and iris scanner

15. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

No chance, lightning was introduced in the 2012 iPhone keynote as the connector for the next decade.

16. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

And unless all those people want to use those USB-C ports just for charging, they're going to need to go out an buy all brand new USB-A and Thunderbolt peripherals, or a box full of adapters to use them for anything else. And you're worried about needing an adapter for a Lightning set of headphones? Add to that USB-C headphones are going to need adapters for anything that doesn't have a USB-C port, which is 99.9% of the stuff in the world.

So again, by the time this "standard" becomes commonplace enough to matter in the way you suggest, Apple and most others will have likely moved on to something else, for audio at least, if not power data, and whatever's left.

In the meantime, anyone using the Apple ecosystem exclusively going forward will have no compatibility problems whatsoever.

17. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Android phones have always shipped with USB, usually mini or micro, and iPhones have always shipped with 30-pin or Lightning. So "standards" aren't applicable to iPhones.