any chance June 2013 MBP gets the 680mx?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chelch, Jan 21, 2013.

1. chelch macrumors regular

I thought I was going to go the new iMac route when I'll have enough $ in Feb/Mar, but now I'm leaning towards a 15" MBP.
    You guys would know way more than I about how Apple updates it's products every year, so what do you think?
    Will the new MBP in June 2013 come with the 680mx currently in the new 27" iMac?
    Should I wait until June to get one?
    Many thanks! :)

2. Erasmus, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013

Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

No.

TDP almost certainly far too high. Apple have just started to use GPU chips with a TDP around 35W, up from 23W, since 2011. Anything more would require a significant redesign of the internals, and a more powerful AC adapter.

June refresh will bring significantly faster CPU and well over double the integrated graphics performance, but probably only slightly faster discrete graphics.

Unless NVIDIA or AMD release a whole new generation of GPUs between now and then.

EDIT: Wiki says the 650M has a TDP of 45W. Is this accurate? If so, the 2012 MBPs must really burn through a battery charge when gaming, even when they are on mains power! The power draw must be over 100W...

Also, Wiki says the 680MX has a TDP of over 100W. So if Apple were to solve the heat problems and put it in, even connected to AC power, the computer's battery would still run down to zero in 60 - 90mins on the current 85W power supply.

3. comper macrumors member

No. There's not enough room in the rMBP form factor for that kind of GPU without it melting.

4. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

How strange. I couldnt find any other tdp value besides 45w for the 650m. Also yes, with discrete graphics, the rmbp does not last very long.

5. chelch thread starter macrumors regular

Very interesting. Needless to say I never thought about TDP.

So as to my other question... Does Apple upgrade it's graphics card options every year? Should I wait until June?

ps. I'm not interested in waiting for the price drop, if it happens, only a better MBP.

Thanks!

6. bill-p macrumors 65816

That's not right. Wiki's sole source of information is this Dell website:
    http://content.dell.com/us/en/home/d/help-me-choose/hmc-aw-video-card-laptops

Which lists the 650M as having a TDP of 45W, but then it also lists the 660M as having a TDP of 75W (!).

Wiki has the correct source for the 660M quoting 50W TDP, so unless Wiki itself is wrong twice, I'd call misinformation on Dell's website.

I think the TDP of 650M is closer to being 35 - 40W. Otherwise, the rMBP wouldn't ever draw enough power from the power adapter to charge itself.

7. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I agree. The Wiki TDPs can't be right. If a 2011 MBP with a ~35W GPU can draw 90-95W, and therefore run down a battery while plugged in in around 10-15 hours, a 2012 MBP under heavy extended load (ie gaming, or video editing/encoding) would run down the battery in as little as 5 hours, after which performance would be significantly reduced.