Any chance montevina mbp's will support more ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by masse, Apr 9, 2008.

1. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

Not that I need it. Just curious as I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

2. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if it will support more, necessarily.

However, I've heard that current computers can actually handle more than 4GB, but no one makes a laptop stick larger than 2GB.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, this is just my guess.

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I wouldnt be surprised if montevina will support 6gb of ram since it has a higher clocked ram + higher frontside bus, that would be awesome.

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Not any Macs that I know of. If they could support more, they would advertise it. It has something to do with the motherboard. But I can recall computers supporting more RAM that you could realistically afford (2GB when nobody used much more than 512MB) and probably without the chip availability. If you make one that supports 6 or 8GB, then users can upgrade once those chips are available.

But seriously, nobody that doesn't use a Mac Pro would need more than 4GB. My processor bottlenecks before my 2GB of RAM do (damn you, HandBrake!).

5. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i thought santa rosa was able to handle 8 gigs of ram...i could be wrong, but its just that fact that as mentioned above, that no one makes ram larger than 2gb sticks

6. Salavat23 macrumors 6502

If DDR3 versions are released, then up to 32GB of ram can be installed because DDR3 modules have a maximum capacity of 16GB/stick.

But I see this happening when Nehalem comes.

7. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

That is correct. Santa Rosa technically supports up to 8GB of ram. However, since no one makes 4GB sticks of ram, Santa Rosa on the MBP only *officially* supports 4GB of ram in a 2x2GB configuration. It is likely that in the future when 4GB sticks are available they will work in the MBP, but there is no way to know for sure what will work until they are actually released.

8. masse thread starter macrumors 6502a

masse

Strange they haven't managed 4 GB sticks yet.... I figured this was the answer. I figure eventually I'd need the extra ram.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Actually they do sell 4GB sticks but officially from Apple, the MBP does not support 4GB sticks.

10. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

You are right. They do sell 4GB sticks. But not for DDR2 SODIMM, which is the only memory type supported by the MBP and just about every other laptop currently on the market. Every place you see 4GB it is a 4GB KIT (2x2GB = 4GB KIT).

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

This might be because of what someone mentioned about DDR3 memory. The max might hit 2GB with DDR2 and then DDR3 will expand the capacity. Tech companies love to do that sort of stuff. The DDR3 will then be cheaper than DDR2 because everybody will be using it in about 2 years. If you think I'm nuts, go check out the prices of slower memory modules. (PC2300 or whatever in that range).

12. masse thread starter macrumors 6502a

masse

It was about 100 bucks for 1 gig of ram for my powerbook.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I found a 2GB module for my MBP for $40. For my dad's iMac G5? I think it was almost $100 for 2GB. Nice if you have a new machine, sucks when it gets older.