Any chance of a 14- or 15-inch MacBook soon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by K-Funk, Dec 8, 2007.

1. K-Funk macrumors member

With PC laptops, the cheapest versions are almost always 15 inches, and 13-inch laptops are more expensive. That's why I've always thought it was weird that you can only get a MacBook at 13 inches. I don't know anything about computer manufacturing, but based on what I see from PCs, it seems that Apple could produce a MacBook with a bigger screen for less money. Any chance of a bigger MacBook in the near future?

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

no probably not. they are going to reserve the larger screens for the macbook pro models and keep the smaller screens for the consumer models.

3. cube macrumors G5

Which is precisely ridiculous because 13" is not the value segment.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

^ What he said. And besides, Apple isn't looking to minimize costs in order to make their stuff more affordable; they look to cut costs to increase profits on their end. The baseline prices are always going to be the same, no matter how low the production costs get.

5. alex2402 macrumors newbie

I don't think they will go bigger than 17" for now.

6. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Probably not it doesn't seem worth it the screen sizes are so close. I think thats why apple made the 13.3 because it's the middle of the road screen.

7. Tshapi macrumors regular

Look at Apple's History. there consumer lines have always had a 12 and 14". The 13" is the happy medium, 2) apple can legitimatly charge 1000-1500 for a 13.3" size computer the market can bear it for consumers now.

As everyone aptly points out, the consumer market can't bear a 15" computer at the price apple is interested in selling it for.

you may say that there are 12.1 and 13.3" that are cheap, but at 2 or 2.2? most cheap computers are 1.83 or something

8. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

For me I used to have a 15inch wide screen from HP, it was nice to have a big screen but it was damn bulky when it came to lugging it around at university - the 13inch is big enough to be comfortable to use, but small enough to take around with me at uni.

Lets remember that MacBooks are a big hit on campus - for students the underlying requirements are good battery life, portability and reasonably sturdy.