Any chance of a refresh in the spring

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by David T., Nov 30, 2013.

  1. David T. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2013
    #1
    Hey folks,

    Again, I'm planning on getting a new rMBP. My friend, who is a big Apple fan said that if I don't need one right away (which I don't), I should wait until spring, as Apple use too do a small refresh in the spring... like a bump up in memory, or CPU, or storage, or any combinations of the fore mentioned.

    Have you folks seen this trend lately?

    Thanks
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    Since Intel isn't going to release their new chipset this spring, I'd say the chances of seeing any updates are pretty small. If anything, maybe a tiny spec bump via a silent refresh but to be honest I'd not hold out for that. I think you can get some nice deals this weekend due to black friday/cyber monday.
     
  3. yangchewren macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2012
    #3
    There is a trend,there are miniscule +0.1ghz bumps from intragenerational processor releases. GPUs may have a change in model number, though they essentially perform the same

    Illustration of the upgraded MBP:

    Feb 2011 2.2GHZ/6750M cMBP -> October 2011 2.4GHZ/6770M cMBP
    June 2012 2.6GHZ rMBP -> February 2013 2.7GHZ rMBP

    If you need your laptop now, you shouldn't wait till spring. The spec differences are very minor.
     
  4. ssn637 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2009
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #4
    With Nvidia's Maxwell due out in Q1 2014 I'm kinda hoping they'll upgrade the current 750M to an 850M as soon as they're available. The Iris Pro 5200 is anywhere between two-thirds and 85% as capable as the 750M so there's not much of an advantage to the dedicated GPU in the high-end 15" rMBP. Even if we only see a 40% increase in performance with Maxwell the dGPU would be justified alongside the Iris Pro. Otherwise there's no incentive to upgrade from last year's model.
     
  5. phsphoenix macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    #5
    Tell me about it. Starcraft II on Iris Pro, 1680x1050, Medium Settings. Starcraft II on 750M, 1680x1050, Medium Settings. 15" rmbp 2.3/16/512.
     
  6. David T. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2013
    #6
    Thanks guys. I'm in no rush to get one. As a matter of fact, it may give Apple more time to clean up any bugs in Mavericks.
     
  7. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2007
    #7
    As a general rule (since computers are always getting faster and/or cheaper) don't buy one until you're going to actually use it. But I figure playing around with it, just because you want to, counts as using.
     
  8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009
    #8
    There aren't really any. Mavericks is super smooth.
     

Share This Page