Any chance of an updated Thunderbolt display soon?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by robotjaw, Oct 23, 2012.

1. robotjaw macrumors newbie

Im hoping they refresh the thunderbolt display and give it USB 3.0 like the rest of their devices. do you think they will bother to refresh it? maybe make it thinner like the new iMacs?

what do you guys think?

2. rmwebs macrumors 68040

If there is one, it wont be till December when the new iMac ships.

There has to be some sort of production issue however as December seems like a long delay from announcement to launch.

3. robotjaw thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea i figured if they do it, itll be in December since thats when the 27 inch iMacs are shipping so im with you there buddy. I dont see why they wouldn't refresh it

4. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

Now we're again at a point where we can't buy the current TBD, as a potential newer one could have 75% less reflections and a much cooler design, which are two important things if you shell out this amount of money ...

5. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Odds are they will utilize all 27" panels to keep up with the initial iMac demand in December/January and release a new thunderbolt display in Feb/March. If they did not announce one today then I really would not expect to see one till sometime early next year.

6. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

True. Then I'll have to get an iMac (probably). Too bad as I love the Mini / TBD combo and don't like All-in-Ones ...

7. robotjaw thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea i suppose youre right we will have to wait till next year. i thought that would be when they would do it too but ya never know they could just slide in the store! haha

8. Nova Sensei macrumors 6502

Quick question - not worthy of a new thread - Is there anything else you can connect to a TBD? An Xbox for example? Or a TV tuner?

9. iBroken, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

iBroken macrumors newbie

10. chaseychasem macrumors regular

Assuming that previous ACD updates were released to considerable fanfare, that is. Do they usually get airtime at these events? If not, barring supply problems, why is December so improbable?

11. Sunyata7 macrumors newbie

Do you guys think they'll sell a new display which is similar to the new iMacs, significantly thinner and with better anti-glare technology?

12. chaseychasem macrumors regular

They have to eventually. The maddening question is when.

13. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

Definitely. I'm also waiting for a display updated with USB 3 and less glare. A shame they're dropping firewire though. I guess the $30 adapter isn't much compared to the $1k display, but if Thunderbolt happens to take off in the future then I'll be using up one of the TB ports.

14. Kryptik.Kode macrumors member

Kryptik.Kode

If they update the TBD to be similar to the new iMac screen that would be pretty amazing. Less glare and very very thin. In theory it should be able to have less of a "bubble" where the arm connects to the screen then the iMac does considering it does not have nearly as many internals as an iMac.

USB3 would be a very welcomed addition as well.

I just ordered a new Mac Mini but I didn't spring for the TBD in hopes for a new version in the coming months.

15. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I can see them coming soon, but I think Apple wants all those nice new displays going towards an iMac initially then just a display. Once supply is high enough and stable, they will start making TBD out of them. We probably wont see them until early 2013, like tail end of winter-beginning of spring.

16. Kryptik.Kode macrumors member

Kryptik.Kode

This seems logical. With the yield issues they've had with these displays and the delay they've had to put on the iMacs, they would get first dibs then once productions catches up a little, they will start making the new TBD.

17. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    really tempted to just get a new updated TBD with USB3 when they drop -
    eventually, i will sell my 2011 MBP 17" and get an updated imac / rmbp
    however will wait for touchscreen retina macs to drop :D

18. tthere5 macrumors member

Uhh. Low-glare TBD will be sweet. But me thinks you will be waiting quite a while for a touchscreen desktop. Talk about arm fatigue.

19. amarcus macrumors 6502

I'd expect an update with USB3 and reduced glare (as per the new iMac's) alongside an updated Mac Pro either Q1/Q2 next year.

20. GhostWorks macrumors newbie

4 x USB 3 / Firewire / Ethernet / 2 x Thunderbolt

I'm also waiting on a refresh on the TBD, would be nice to have USB 3, keep the firewire 800 in but it ain't a big issue if not there , but have 2 thunderbolt ports... I know the screen has only 1 thunderbolt input tho which would end up a slight bottle neck issue if you had 2 thunderbolt ports on the TBD...

however since both 13" and 15" have 2 thunderbolt ports could the next TBD have two inputs to double the bandwidth from 10G to 20GB and even put a secondary GPU built into the TBD to drive the display especially if its a 27" Retina ( obviously the second paragraph is a dream ...lol )

21. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Lol... That's priceless... Apple's about 3 years late releasing new Mac Pros.

Anyway... I would like to see a new Thunderbolt Display...

22. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

With Apple dropping FW on MBPs and iMac, why would they reintroduce in a new TB?