Any chance of Apple bringing back the old battery stats?

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by joeblow7777, Oct 21, 2018.

1. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Usage time since last full charge, and standby time since last full charge. Simple, and I miss it! The new stats in iOS 12 don't make sense, and make it much harder to figure out my usage since the last full charge if it's been more than 24 hours. I guess Apple figures that everyone recharges their phone every 24 hours.

2. jagolden macrumors 6502a

jagolden

Not sure which stars you’re referring to. If it’s the battery percentage ( which I also miss) you can just give a quick swipe down fron upper right to get that (at least).

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

No. Under settings -> Battery, it used to show time since last full charged. They did away with that. After 11 years they decided to get rid of it.

4. jagolden macrumors 6502a

jagolden

8763616B-CF3B-4D7D-B0CD-7813B9D91F11.png I forgot about those, sorry.
    I think it sort of shows it, or something close under the "Last 24 Hours" or "Last 10 Days" headings. Does this help any?

5. joeblow7777 thread starter macrumors 603

Settings --> Battery.

I have a (notch-less) 8 Plus, so my current battery percentage is still right where it should be without having to swipe to see it.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 21, 2018 ---
    Indeed, it "sort of" shows it, which in my opinion is a step backwards from actually showing it.

6. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

I'm what a lot of people here would call a fan boy but I think 12 ruined a lot of apps that were fine and they made them fancy and harder to use with less information. For a release that wasn't supposed to add much function but mainly performance - I think the took a lot of function away

7. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

staggerlee41

I also preferred the information in iOS 11 regarding battery information. The best way to let them know what you think is here:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

8. gwang73 macrumors 6502a

gwang73

I also prefer the old battery reporting. The more people providing feedback to change it back, the better chance they will in the future.

9. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

I doubt it will change back. Apple specifically added this in because people were complaining about battery life. This at least shows you a break down of your battery and how it’s being used.

10. mib1800 Suspended

Apple don't want you to know how much a charge last...so you can't easily compare to other phones

11. Kram Sacul macrumors 6502

Kram Sacul

I hope so. The current battery app is worthless without usage since last charge and standby time. Total bonehead move to remove those stats.

12. Guda.FL macrumors 6502

13. zorinlynx, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018

zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

Isn't this more useful though? It's showing you the last time you unplugged the charger, and how much the battery was charged then.

I think that's better than just telling you when the last full charge was, and whether a charger happened to have been connected since then.

For example, with this screenshot I know that two hours ago my phone had charged to 74% before I disconnected it. (I forgot to plug in overnight, so added a bit of charge while I ate my breakfast before going to work) So I base my battery performance on having charged up to 74%. How is this less useful than before?

EDIT: Also, in iOS 11 and prior, "Standby time" was really just elapsed time since the last full charge. It included usage time as well. If you add up screen on and screen off usage you get the same time that "usage time" was before.

All the information is still there, it's just formatted differently. And the graph really gives you great information as to what activities tend to burn battery the most.

IMG_2359.jpeg

14. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

That information is good to have, just as the information that was there before was useful too. It's good to know when the charger was unplugged and what was the charge level at at that time. It's also quite useful to know what the usage stats are since that time (as opposed to simply for the last 24 hours or 10 days).

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

The new usage shows 24 hours, not since last full charge. Hardly useful to measure what you get on a single charge.

16. Heat_Fan89, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018

Heat_Fan89 macrumors 6502

The solution could have been quite simple. They could have added the detailed battery report and created a "Detailed Summary" button. That way you can toggle back and forth between the old and new stats. I'm not dissing the new way of reporting battery usage because some might find it either quite useful or exactly what they were looking for. For me it serves no useful purpose and I no longer look at the battery stats anymore.

I went ahead and filled out the feedback form.

17. FeliApple macrumors 65816

FeliApple

I doubt Apple will bring it back, but this is - as I have said in other threads - change for the sake of change. Kind of what iOS 7 was.
    Add all this new stuff, fine. Just keep the previous one as well. Why was that so difficult to do? Why do you have to make it convoluted - and, I might say, inaccurate, as I have read reports that the off-screen times aren't correctly logged -, also, even if you do have sort of a way to find out the previous information, it requires knowing exact unplugging time (let's say you plug it in for 30 seconds to send a photo to your Mac, now the information is useless).
    Convoluted for the sake of newness. Stick with what works... Nobody really complained about the previous system, except to say that many would have liked a screen-on indicator. Apple delivered... A broken solution.

18. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Well, it's not really change just for the sake of change given that some new/different information has been provided that is useful, it's just that it came at the cost of removing some useful previously existing information as well, either on purpose for some reason or as an oversight of some sort.