Any Chance of Apple doing required update...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ACardAttack, Jul 16, 2010.

1. ACardAttack macrumors 6502

ACardAttack

when you either sync you iphone or just connect it to itunes? In other words, if you plug in your iphone and there is an update possible, itunes forces your iphone to update. Can they legally do that and if so, would they ever do that?

2. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Apple does not require you to update. There is always a cancel button and it's always an option. Are you asking if they force and update in the future? I find it highly highly unlikely. They would have so many people unplugging their iphones during updates that know nothing about recovery mode or DFU that the Genius bars would be flooded.

Nonetheless, you are never forced to update. As far as the legality of it all - geez, who freak'n knows.

3. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

How would anyone on MR know the answer to this? :confused: :rolleyes:

I'd suggest reading the Terms and Conditions you agree to when installing iTunes.

4. ACardAttack thread starter macrumors 6502

ACardAttack

Oh I know thy dont force you to, its was if they could even think about doing that in the future

5. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Sure they could 'think about doing it'.

6. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

I think they know they'd piss of a significant portion of their user base. Logistically, forcing an update would be difficult for Apple.

If people think this iPhone 4 business has been a mess, forcing an update would be multiple times worse than this.

I'm pretty sure I don't own any software/hardware that FORCES an actual update - sure you lose out on stuff, but I've never been forced to update.

Again, I know nothing about the legal side of it all. MikePA's suggest to read the EULA is not a bad idea... makes me kinda want to go back and read it to see what I'm allowing from Apple.

7. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Apple probably wishes they could do a lot to their user base. Jobs seems like a guy that wants/needs a lot of control.

8. Gxray macrumors member

They can't really "force" you to download the 400mb update and not everyone who has an iphone has home internet. Even if they did, you could just block their update servers in your hosts file.

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Just unplug your Internet connection when you sync.

That said, I can't see it ever happening.

10. r3voLoL macrumors member

With iTunes possibly going cloud based, I could see them doing OTA updates on future iPhones. Possibly requiring them...

11. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Not when an update, supposedly to simply change how the signal strength bars are displayed, is almost 600 megs.

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Agreed, the packages are too big for OTA

13. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I've always hated that. XCode is the same. The updates to that are like 2.5 gig.