Any chance of Cache clearing function in iOS 8 (Other)

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by ZZ Bottom, Jun 1, 2014.

1. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

So I understand the function of the cache that builds up and shows as "Other". However with no way to purge this material from the device, it's becoming quite an embarrassment.

Anyone believe we'll see an option buried within settings to purge some of this in iOS 8? A backup and restore is a pathetic solution to a simple problem. My phone won't even let me update to 7.1 because I need an additional 1.9 Gig of free space. Between all of the iMessage images I can't seem to locate (I don't want to delete entire threads) and my Exchange Mail account building up crap over time, I can't clear this from the phone.

Any reason Apple shouldn't be providing this option within the OS settings?

2. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

That'd be very good, not many apps have that option and clearly makes a difference.

There should be an option on the usage settings page to 'Clear Phone Cache', a very unlikely option in iOS 8 tho.

3. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

One would hope that the underlying OS would be robust enough to make such manual house cleaning chores unnecessary. One would. Hmmm.

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

It's not, and for a good reason.

Some of that app data should be permanant. Game saves for example. Adobe Acrobat documents for another.

Facebook/G+/Flipboard newsfeed and advertising caches does not.

It would be very hard for the OS to track this. There is likely no way for the OS to discern between the two. App developers are being very ****** on this front.

5. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

No, it wouldn't be hard, I had a jailbroken iPhone and there was this app that could erase the "other" and give different options of what you could delete.

6. cynics macrumors G4

When you drop below a certain threshold of storage iOS will clean apps. They become grayed out and saying cleaning.

Unfortunately there is no manual way of doing this unless the app itself provides a way and like mentioned most do not.

You can delete and reinstall the offending apps vs restoring the OS. Still not a very elegant solution. It would be nice to have a button like competing OS's that have clear cash/data.

Messages at the very least should have a way to turn off iCloud storage. I find that pretty silly I'm forced to keep my messages in iCloud if I want it on.