Any chance of cell data on a MacBook someday?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by s2mikey, Aug 28, 2015.

1. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Am I dreaming? Am I the only one that feels it would be sweet to have cellular data support like I do for my iPad in a MacBook? Honestly, if it had it I'd already have replaced my iPad with one.

I assume that Apple wouldn't do this as to not cut into their phone business....but then again, the iPad's have it?

Hmmm...?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

And add another data plan?
    I just connect to my iPhone's HotSpot as needed (which isn't very often at all)

3. s2mikey thread starter macrumors 68020

s2mikey

A valid idea but no iPhone for me. I suppose I could use the iPad or my android phone but many times I have just the iPad with me. Just not a big time phone user.

4. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Nope. With apple making connecting to hot spots so easy, I highly highly doubt they will ever include cell connections in MacBooks

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Buy one of these portable routers, I have used them for years. Superb performance and flexibility...
    [​IMG]
    Q-6

6. s2mikey thread starter macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yeah, I kind of figured. Wishful thinking....

That's not a bad suggestion. :)

7. rpsmithii macrumors newbie

rpsmithii

funny just posted about not seeing any posts.

Had a sony laptop with built in cell modem. it was outstanding to have.

Have a iphone, ipad all with the lte modems active. For crying out loud its just $9.95 per month for each device now and share the data. A very easy decision for me vis a vis messing around with sparking up a hot spot on my phone.

interesting. there was a guy in like 2009 that retrofited a multimode radio including bluetooth, wifi, 3g into a mba. came close to doing the same. i would love to have this..

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

They can serve up to 10 devices, and are usable globally. As they are basically routers they also offer another layer of security allowing you to avoid open public networks. I have used them for years and never had issue, would never travel without one these days.

Q-6