Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiantech

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
I want to say it would be possible, but not officially...at least immediately. I say this because verizon is holding the media event and not apple.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
From what I read somewhere, VZW offered apple some extra $$$ to keep the iPhone out of sprints hands.

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
Of course then that raises the old question of is it legal that AT&T had exclusivity for this long too.

I never understood why people thought that it was illegal. Maybe it should be illegal that no other carried has the Motorola Droid then? Exclusivity is a contract between two companies. It happens everyday, not just in the tech world. There is nothing illegal about it.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I am really wondering what band the GSM radio will have. If it is a world phone, I would think it has a possibility to run on T-Mobile. I certainly wouldn't think it would use the same bands as ATT.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm sure the wording is such that it would pass muster

I forget where I read it but it was presented more then conjecture

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I never understood why people thought that it was illegal. Maybe it should be illegal that no other carried has the Motorola Droid then? Exclusivity is a contract between two companies. It happens everyday, not just in the tech world. There is nothing illegal about it.

Of course it's legal...it was not a back room deal...it's based on a contract drawn up in a nation of laws

I never really thought much about it as being illegal as it must not be because AT&T has been doing this for several years now. But it does appear unseemly kind of like that whole Microsoft anti-trust suit over having IE built into Windows, effectively crushing the other browsers out.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
I am really wondering what band the GSM radio will have. If it is a world phone, I would think it has a possibility to run on T-Mobile. I certainly wouldn't think it would use the same bands as ATT.

My friend if this phone is coming to Verizon it won't be a "world phone" it will be restricted to North America most likely strictly Verizon's network...and why hasn't the FCC application leaked?

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
I never really thought much about it as being illegal as it must not be because AT&T has been doing this for several years now. But it does appear unseemly kind of like that whole Microsoft anti-trust suit over having IE built into Windows, effectively crushing the other browsers out.

Just like the other poster mentioned have motorola and verizon broken the law with the droid exclusivity?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Is that even legal? Of course then that raises the old question of is it legal that AT&T had exclusivity for this long too.

Why wouldn't it be legal? If the iPhone is available on only 2 carriers, we can pay you $250 per contract. If it's on 3 carriers, we can pay you $125 per contract.

Numbers made up as examples only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.